Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I posted the Mareks info in hopes of helping to prevent some heartaches. I sure hope that my post did not scare everyone away! Where is everybody?
I think most are having a "last hurrah" of summer. I've been away for most of it-camping and now prepping for school to start.

"It's the MOST won-der-ful tiiime of the year!" Woot woot!

Thank you for the info though! We all have to have an end of the summer, start of the fall get together!

Morning all and happy end of the summer. I wanted to update everybody about the sick chick drama of a couple weeks ago. She is totally bug free and has been off antibiotics for a little over a week. I now am not sure if it was a sneeze or just the fact her beak was clipped and never quite closes all the way and maybe it was dust easily getting in the way....who knows, but she still does it and usually after preening or pecking in the dirt.
She has been included with the other girls and nobody has begun looking or sounding ill and it has been a week. She has however been pecked and tormented, but less and less as the days go by.
2 of my original girls have started laying, the production red and the Columbian rock cross, so little the eggs, but very cool. Now I have 3 of 6 laying although we can't eat Rosie's for another 2 weeks because of the antibiotics and she has laid every single day for 18 days.
I came close to getting 3 more little ones this week since the Agway in Riverhead had more chickies, but by Tuesday they had all been picked up...I was so close to getting 2 Auracanas and 1 Buff Orpington:( I filled out a sheet for 9/12 order but the guy said you have to order 6 and since I already have 6 and am really only allowed to have 6 I said forget it because in my head, 9 is OK, but 12 is just a little too many right now.
Anyway, have a good day all.

Morning all, I will not say happy end of summer instead welcome back everyone.

Mmammo I am so glad everything worked out for you and your girl . If you want to hold off til next spring I have a friend that only needs 3 . I wished I had known you were looking for more chicks . I have a true aruacana that I am giving away to some one with the beautiful roo that I hatched on memorial day. If it falls through with him I'll let you know.

Foamsp. Have you processed your chicken yet? I'd be interested in seeing how it's done. My husband wants me to get about 6 next year. I will not name them or get attached. Yeh right.

Never made it to the Dutchess county fair but I'm thinking about the Big E in Springfield Ma.

Put in my fall garden last week - beans, kale, spinach,peas, lettuce...it just never ends.

Hello Long Island people,
I've officially moved my flock to Mom's place so they can free range now (happy girls!) and I'm breaking down my Long Island coop. I have a bunch of sections if hardware cloth that someone could take if they'd like it...2x3 and 2x5 sections approximately, and some heavier gauge than others. I know the stuff is pricey, but it's also a pain to store, and as long as no disaster strikes I don't see us having room for more birds for quite awhile. I'm in Stony Brook, and you could come any time for it.

Happy Labor Day everyone! It's a day for napping here and prepping for my daughters birthday tomorrow and my hubby's birthday on Weds. For anyone interested, we should have some silkie chicks available by October. As typical, we will only be able to take good guesses on the sex. Have a safe and healthy holiday!

Hi All!

Lots going on here. Good and bad.

First, chicken news. Pearl, my bantam frizzle, has been laying consistently. I just love those little eggs! Harboiled a bunch for mini egg salad. I had to rehome Lavinia and Lola for noise reasons, and threw in Wanda because she's not laying anymore. Early menopause?? So now I'm down to 11. As the older girls quit laying, I think I'm going to switch to all production reds. Not as much fun, but I can start selling eggs and that would be nice. Shirley (my red) is so quite and friendly and such a good layer. I'd be happy to have a flock of all Shirleys!

First the good news. I got called back by my District for a part time (40%) position. Ready for this? Teaching Math! So all my chicken math lessons will help. I have a great part-time schedule: Monday through Thursday 9-12:30. Fridays off. Of course, I'm only making 40% of my salary, but with all the tutoring I'm doing, it puts me close to where I was. And there's some big grant money coming into the district at the end of the month, so it's conceivable I could be offered full time. I'm just enjoying being back to work and having such a great schedule.

Now the bad news. Laura and her boyfriend broke up last week. He called it quits, although she was waiting for it. He's a very young 26 and she's a mature 28. He wants to party with his friends all the time. So he chose that over a relationship with her. She's really hurting right now. It doesn't help that they have to see each other at the firehouse. She had quit her hateful job to work with his mother, but she couldn't face being there every day, so now she's heartbroken AND unemployed. But she's a trooper. She's been doing her fd job with her head held high. So many people have been so supportive, it's been great. She knows she's better off without him, but she misses having him around. And of course, he's acting like nothing's wrong, so that hurts too. People know the truth, though.

Probably the worst part is that they had plans to celebrate her birthday (Monday) by going to Disney. They were supposed to leave Saturday. It took her about 4 hours by phone to cancel the trip. It breaks my heart. I wish I could make it all better. I've been trying to be supportive without crowding her. It's such a tough situation. I guess it just takes time.

I still love being married. I guess that just takes time, too, huh?

Hello fellow teacher,
Your schedule sounds dreamy...
Part if the reason I farm my chickens out to my mom during the school year is I can barely function at 5:15 AM each day... I can't handle the added chicken chores, and even though I know the hubby and kids would cover if I asked, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't enjoy it. They already help out a ton with other pets and chores. (They did help out considerably in the spring when the girls were conveniently located in the brooder in the garage).

Sorry to hear about the heartache your daughter is going through. Sounds like she probably dodged a bigger one though.

Ann

Hi Suzanne, congrats on the job. You'll have to make all the extra credit word problems about chickens.
Sorry to hear about Laura's heartbreak. Give her a big hug. You know it will get better soon. She has a great mom to help her.
My little frizzle isn't laying yet.

I really have to get rid of the salmon Fav. Besides crowing in the morning, he tries to mount the silkies and is really hurting them. It looks quite sad.

Back
Top Bottom