Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Has anyone checked out the celebrity chicken look alike contest? The chicken that looks like the bourg from Star Trek is great. It's on or around page 12.

My little silkie has something wrong with her eye. I think she might have got pecked in it from Danares, my Czar chicken.

Several of my potatoes are peaking out of the ground..how great is Spring

Carol, what adventure are you going on? Hmmm? Spring show is in a few weeks, don't forget!!!

I joined the easter HAL this year, I couldn't find a pic for the celebrity look alike, but entered the male fowl, jelly bean, guess how many, and funny posting contests. HAL is pretty fun. I will do it every year. We won a "caution attack chicken" sign and hung it from our incubator. We had 17 hatch out, they all go to new homes tomorrow. One is just the cutest little guy. I was thinking I could post him as Arnold since he is just the stockiest little guy ever. I have never had such a puffy little chick.

My peas have not even germinated yet. I got them in about 10 days ago. The ground was finally warm enough to work. We are still getting below freezing up here at night, so everything is going slowly, except my radishes, they are doing great so far. My asparagus has not even poked up yet. I am doing those bag potatoes, I am not sure they will be successful. We did a brand new garden for the DD this year. It is a fairy garden. She is over the moon. I will post picks later when I get outside. She has been playing in it all weekend, it is so cute. She comes in covered in dirt with her fairy wings on. It is her first "all my own" garden. She did a nice job picking the plants and placing them (with a little help from Mamma and Uncle Jeffrey
wink.png
, but only a tiny bit).

I have one lonely little asparagus sticking out of the ground.
Congrats on all your babies Christina. The Sheep and Wool Festival is the first weekend in May and Misty, Iris and I are going . It's in a little town just west of Baltimore . Everything wool, livestock auctions, herding, sheering,spinning, knitting, vendors....should be fun. You are most certainly welcome. I still have one more spot in the car. Leaving on Friday and coming back on Sunday.

That sounds like a very good time. Unfortunately, it is the weekend before the summer term starts and i have several classes to prepare for. Besides, i would end up coming home with a flock of sheep.

Do you still want to do some antiquing while you are here for the spring show? I am also planning on going to the heirloom festival at that seed store at the end if may.

Last edited:
DD successfully sold all 17 of her newly hatched chicks and we have an order for another dozen. She is very excited about this endeavor. It will be interesting to see if she actually manages the bantam pen by herself this season. I have a feeling that I will be the one to do the clean out part (she likes putting in fresh bedding and collecting eggs and feeding). I suppose that is acceptable since she is only 7. She is already to fire up the incubator again. I need a rest from it for a few weeks. I mean, I only cleaned the thing last night.

So the spring chick bug caught me - "Daisy" "Blossom" It's not my fault that the feed store has every breed you could ever hope for in stock! The ones at Tractor Supply I walked right past, but this is a local place run by chicken lovers. They called me to say they had Delawares in, but they failed to mention they also had Salmon Faverolles, Copper Marans and Black Copper Marans plus pretty much everything else except for Cream Legbars. I really wanted to try for a Salmon Faverolle once more, and thought a chocolate colored egg layer would be appropriate to get at Easter. The girls also pretty much begged me to, so how could I say no? Hope everyone has a great Easter weekend!! Heather
Hi Heather, I didn't realise it was your post til I got to the photos of the girls. I was just reading through and wondering where this feed store was so I could go and investigate because even though Christine is "growing me some babies". I thought it would be nice to take a peek at some fluffy new chicks... Then I got to the photos and recognised the girls and thought Texas was just a little too long of a drive. Lol! Oh well... Maybe next year when I'm not in the throws of planning an addition. Which is one reason why I haven't posted too much lately. Sorry ladies. I am planning on going to the event on May 17th Christine, Carol, Roberta and meeting any other BYC ladies that are going... Mary? I've been meaning to call you Christine. Chewy had an FHO 10 days ago and is doing really well. He couldn't go on any longer the way he was and I just couldn't let him suffer. I'd be up for some antiquing...I just won't say that too loudly around my DH. Gotta go and do some more packing. Pip

Back
Top Bottom