Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I have only full sized hens right now, my bantams all got taken by the hawk this year, all 11 of them ;-( ... I am not sure who on here has fertile bantam eggs available since it has been sooooo quiet in here. I will poke around on some other threads for you (I am looking for some bantam eggs myself). I do know one kid who sells a number of bantam breeds as eggs for around $20 a dozen. I had a decent hatch on them last year (despite a power outage in the middle of the hatch). If we can't find anything for you, you are always welcome to mine.

Jersey Hen I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Wow 11!!!! Look forward to hearing about your eggs/hatch-lings.

Hi to you all.

Whole 'nother question for you Long Islanders: A neighbor did a few days of chicken sitting for me and I gave her two dozen eggs as a thank you.

Now she's asked me if she can buy a dozen from me when I have them and I told her that I don't know what to charge as I've never sold them before. She laughed and said to check the web for organic eggs.

So, I've gone web searching for current local prices for backyard chickens' eggs and see that prices range from $2.50 a dozen to $8 a dozen. Setting aside the reality that each egg probably costs us a thousand dollars to produce (building the coop, feed, organic scratch, BOSS, dried mealworms, Purina Layena Plus Omegas, labor, free range quality, etc., etc.) LOL, I'm thinking to ask for $4.50 or $5 a dozen. What are the local prices for fresh, "organic," free range, pampered hens' eggs where you live? I only have 8 chickens, so am not exactly overrun with available eggs. She's right next door, so convenience is a factor, too.

Hi Carolyn, hope you are doing well. We have been selling our eggs (a dozen a day) for $3. Where we live the "organic, free-range" are going for about $4 - 5 here in Ridge/Miller Place. I know our price doesn't seem high but it is reasonable and some of my friends feel better by giving the $3. They were starting to feel uncomfortable getting all these free eggs with nothing in exchange.

I hope this helps.

Sorry to hear that, Irischick! Hawks are surprisingly not a problem here, even though they're everywhere. It's more foxes. I love german shepherds, and I'm glad you're enjoying her. I wish you luck on your property searching, it can be very tedious.

Anyway, hello everyone! I live in Suffolk County(Long Island), and I was hoping to have more friends who like chickens, but are still local. I ADORE chickens, and if money wasn't a problem I think I'd have an acre just filled to the brim with them. But it's such a shame things don't work that way. Though, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get silkies? We have a few chickens now, and Silkies would be a lovely addition. And does anyone know if anyone really follows the chicken laws in Huntington Township? I've been told by many if theres no complaints, no problems! We're thinking of getting a rooster, because the neighbors happen to adore our chickens (Or maybe it's just the free eggs?), and we would love to have baby chicks every Spring.

Welcome MiahoMia! I hope you are well. I don't know of any Silkies available but will keep my ear open. We also give eggs to our neighbors especially since we have/had a roo. Our newest roo who we took as a re-home from a friend that had three was killed by another hawk on Wednesday. I am not sure of the Huntington Code. I am pretty sure though - no roo's. But, if no one complains . . . . . However, you can always incubate eggs for chicks. We did for the first time last year. It was fun. Welcome!

Hi to you all.

Whole 'nother question for you Long Islanders: A neighbor did a few days of chicken sitting for me and I gave her two dozen eggs as a thank you.

Now she's asked me if she can buy a dozen from me when I have them and I told her that I don't know what to charge as I've never sold them before. She laughed and said to check the web for organic eggs.

So, I've gone web searching for current local prices for backyard chickens' eggs and see that prices range from $2.50 a dozen to $8 a dozen. Setting aside the reality that each egg probably costs us a thousand dollars to produce (building the coop, feed, organic scratch, BOSS, dried mealworms, Purina Layena Plus Omegas, labor, free range quality, etc., etc.) LOL, I'm thinking to ask for $4.50 or $5 a dozen. What are the local prices for fresh, "organic," free range, pampered hens' eggs where you live? I only have 8 chickens, so am not exactly overrun with available eggs. She's right next door, so convenience is a factor, too.
I live a little farther east and sell mine for $4 a dozen. More than likely your eggs are not technically organic unless everything you feed them is organic as well such as their feed and any scraps they get.

Hi Carolyn, hope you are doing well. We have been selling our eggs (a dozen a day) for $3. Where we live the "organic, free-range" are going for about $4 - 5 here in Ridge/Miller Place. I know our price doesn't seem high but it is reasonable and some of my friends feel better by giving the $3. They were starting to feel uncomfortable getting all these free eggs with nothing in exchange.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the info, Irischick! Much appreciated.

I replied once but somehow I must have done something wrong.
Sorry about your bantams, I do recall you mentioning it at the time.
What type of bantam eggs does your young kid have for sale?
Oh and good luck with the golden pheasants
Here is what his latest post lists:

I have lots of hatching eggs for sale I can bring them to the Sussex show or located in Central NJ all come from breeder and show lines. Message me if you are interested or have any questions
I have silkie chicks for sale in black and blue

The following breeds I have hatching eggs
Blue and black Sumatra Largefowl
Blue and black Sumatra Largefowl
Black Amercauanas Largefowl
S.C White Leghorn LF and BT
Quail D'Anver
silver Blue and Birchern moderns
Salmon faverolles bantams
Black and blue silkies
Welsh harlequin ducks
Light brahma bantams

Here is what his latest post lists:
Hi Christine, sorry for delay. If it's still possible I would like 1/2 doz of the favarolle bantam eggs or mixed bantam eggs of breeds that are cold hardy. Thanks

[COLOR=333333]I have lots of hatching eggs for sale I can bring them to the Sussex show or located in Central NJ all come from breeder and show lines. Message me if you are interested or have any questions[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]I have silkie chicks for sale in black and blue[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]The following breeds I have hatching eggs[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Blue and black Sumatra Largefowl[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Blue and black Sumatra Largefowl[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Black Amercauanas Largefowl[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]S.C White Leghorn LF and BT[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Quail D'Anver[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]silver Blue and Birchern moderns[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Salmon faverolles bantams[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Black and blue silkies[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Welsh harlequin ducks[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]
[/COLOR][COLOR=333333]Light brahma bantams[/COLOR]

I will see if he can bring some of them. Will you be at the show this weekend? It is on Saturday from 9 - 3. If the egg hatching doesn't appeal to you, you could always try to slip a little chick under her after she has set for a while. I do that all the time. Generally they accept the chick and brood it.

I will see if he can bring some of them. Will you be at the show this weekend? It is on Saturday from 9 - 3. If the egg hatching doesn't appeal to you, you could always try to slip a little chick under her after she has set for a while. I do that all the time. Generally they accept the chick and brood it. 

I can't make it this weekend, we are having a big birthday bash for my daughter and it will be hectic here. I could drive over to you next week sometime, if that works for you?

Back
Top Bottom