Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Mags, the silkies are adorable. I won't let my daughter see them, though, or we'll be off on a whole new ride! (Some tough firefighter, she wants bunnies and chicks and kittens all over the house!)

Good news: When I left the house, Gladys had gone back to the coop and was up roosting on a perch with Agatha snuggled up in a corner. I suspect Gladys wouldn't let her up on the perch, but they were coexisting peacefully for now.

And please note the part about GLADYS HAD GONE BACK TO THE COOP. Yesterday afternoon, she started toward the tree and Laura (the tough firefighter) and I sort of herded her away from the area. I tried to lure her into the coop (Glayds, not Laura) but she was having none of it. Then she paused, looked at the coop, looked up at the roosting area and walked in and went right past the treats up to the perch. It was like the light went on in her little chicken brain. "Oh yeah, that's where I'm supposed to sleep." Yay!!

yippiechickie.gif

It was very hard to go to work and leave them behind...

welcome-byc.gif
Hello AHAPPYCHICK
big_smile.png
This is a great thread, we have lots of fun (thanks Al!)

Suzanne
ya.gif
SOOO Happy Gladys has a friend! They look like new BFF's
lol.png

Stoopid- LOOOOVE the silkies! Can't wait for the next batch to hatch- are they cooking in your new ginormous incubator? And holy cow that TUX is hilarous! Were can I get these chicken getups? Do you make them? I just might have to dress up some chickens for halloween
tongue2.gif

Jeanett- Awesome! Very nice of you
thumbsup.gif
They will do great!!

Al- I was going to get Countryside Organics to get away from the soy but I found Vintage Organic food at Agway and it does not list soy as an ingredient, just grain. Is there something I should be checking for on the ingredient list? This Vintage stuff seems good and the chickens love it but of course I want whats best for them. With 60 + beaks to feed though I need to consider price- Vintage is 30.00 and I think Countryside would be about 40.00 per bag shipped- What do you think?

Trish

Quote:
Make sure she is very careful I know a few people who have rescued from live processing shops and they sometimes have illnesses. a good 30-60 day quarentine of them would be best.

I often have cute but not breeder quality (wrong color, leakage, etc.) silkies in both sexes after a hatching period and am always happy to find them homes for little or no money if you know someone who wants them. Right now I have a few pullets available to a good home. a few have cross beak so I wont breed them but they will make wonderful pets and lay good eating eggs.
smile.png

Al, could you put up a sticky at the top of this thread that lists all the locations showing where we are within this Southern New York area?
I would love to see a list of the places where we all are. Show both the town or village or neighborhood's name and also the name of the county.

It would be so encouraging to see the list grow as time goes by and more and more Southern New Yorkers catch the chickenkeeping fever.

Most useful would be two lists, showing the same information, but one would be sorted by county, and one by our byc names.

Here's my bit:

For the names sticky:
Carolyn252 is Carolyn, in Freeport (Nassau County).

For the County sticky:

Nassau County
Freeport, Carolyn252 (Carolyn)

Then, maybe a sticky listing all the chicken-related services available locally in Southern New York: chicken-knowledgeable vets, chicken-slaughtering & processing services (showing whether they're mobile and will come to your site, or whether you bring your chickens to them), rooster depots (places to bring your unwanted roosters; maybe divided into two sub categories of will-become-someone's-dinner policy or no-kill policy), custom coop builders, coop-cleaning services, chicken-sitting services,

Then, maybe a sticky listing all the local resources for chicken-keeping items in Southern New York (showing where to buy stuff locally: feed, coops, shavings, sand, grit, calcium bits, food-grade DE, fertile eggs, chicks, pullets, battery hens, chicken diapers, chicken aprons; where to find free palettes locally.

Whaddya think?
-Carolyn252

Ahappychick- Interesting about the crossbeak. Do you think it is genetic? I have a buff polish that had crossbeak pretty bad, I figured i would leave her be and see if she can live with it. I brought a deep feeder so she can scoop up her food better. Recently I noticed she is almost normal- CRAZY! her top beak somehow realigned with her bottom beak and she is almost normal again. I did a little research when I first noticed her beak going cross (around 4 weeks old) and found some people feel it could be enviromental/ pestisides, others feel it's possibly genetic, idn. What I do know is it is not always a death sentence and I am glad I don't cull!

Trish

That tuxedo is so cute. Maggie you should make outfits for all my birds. I would love to see Vinny's face, let them free range & not say anything about it. Wait for Vin to notice. He would think I had a few shingles loose. The silkies for Palomine was just a way to do some thing nice. I shouldnt have even mentioned that I donated my birds to them, but Roberta had a partner in mind for the buff hen & I was trying to get the word out about the work they do. AHappyChick: Welcome I cant believe you didnt know about us NY'ers here on BYC. The birds I got from you last year (white pair & black pullet) are doing great. Sold the rooster thought. How did you do at the byc auction. Any mind blowing pullets/hens for sale like that lavender girl I wanted from you? I actually was so desperate 10 years ago for a silkie that I went to one of the markets in Brooklyn. Their legs grew bent because they couldnt stand up in those cages & they didnt understand that I didnt want it killed. I was sick after leaving there

Back
Top Bottom