Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Great news, chick shoes WORK !!!!
Her one foot is pretty straight the other was still
Curly but much better than it was. I put a new shoe
on the bad foot will check again tomorrow. I also
gave her a nice foot massage. I held her for a while
she was standing on my tummy with her foot flat!
Then she fell asleep so I put her back in her brooder.
I am SO happy. I am keeping this chick I am so attached
to her.
If its a boy I'll name him buster brown lol
But it's a GIRL !!!!!! No matter what I'm keeping it.
Yay for that little baby! You rock with those chickopedic shoes!!

5 Barnevelder hatched ! 2 more are pipped and rocking.
Out of 7 shipped eggs wow.
I think I saw a golden cuckoo egg rock.

I called my mom in to watch the last one hatch.
She was so cute, oh there's her leg, there's her face
Lol I guess she never saw one hatch. They had
the hens do it.

So why oh why couldn't I get even 1 cream legbar?
Cause these eggs cost $10 and legbars cost $55, that's why. Lol

I now know I have my incubator set perfect.
I guess the fault of any non hatching eggs now
lays with the shipping and health of parent flock.
Hmm time to get more legbar and Jubille Orpingtington eggs?
NO , well not untill I find homes for the extras I have already.

Last edited:
I think it's so much harder now than it was way back when I was a kid. I'm happy for his parents-not knowing where your child is, is probably the most painful thing to experience.

When I was a kid, I walked the straight and narrow. I knew my parents would kill me. I knew they loved me, but you can never be sure if they wouldn't carry through on that "I'll beat you like a rented mule" threat. Nowadays, it's too easy for a kid to get drugs, and too hard for a parent to watch them all the time. My kids wonder why I seem to show up every where when they least expect it. heh heh heh.
We heard from a friend's son who's a classmate or rather at the same school but a bit older that the kid is kind of a druggie. Having grown up in a privileged area that had lots of druggies I have to say it's not so much that the kids are bad, but that they don't handle stress well. Who knows what's going on at home, really? Just because someone is rich doesn't mean they aren't beating their kids at night.

I am hoping that my DD only addiction is the morehens disease that I have probably passed on to her. She was drawing a picture the other day and I asked her what it is and she said "these are the new chickies that I have to have" so I took a look and there were several different types which she began to name off for me "red silkie, barred rock..." too cute.

We decided to homeschool our daughter to avoid all of the issues surrounding school (kids being bullied on the bus and in school, drugs, overcrowding, etc). It was a hard decision, because we want her to have all of the fun stuff that goes along with it, but the school districts around here are terrible and the private schools are not much better and the issues are the same anyway (besides they are so far away). So, it is a good thing that I work from home. Think I can design a home schooling program with chicken husbandry as a basis?

Online reading up on how to sex an EE. Why am I bothering? It is so confusing. One has yellow comb, but all 3 rows showing, one has pink comb, but only one real row showing, one looks exactly like a pullet should, but has some pointy feathers... uuuugh. I am going to just wait for an egg or a crow. There are days I swear all 6 of them are cockerels then days when I only think 2 of them are.

Last edited:
This just hit the medical wires yesterday...

The CDC described an eight-year investigation into salmonella illnesses, with more than 80 percent of the cases tied to a single hatchery in the western U.S. While CDC officials refused to identify the business, a previous report on the investigation by the health agency indicated it is in New Mexico.

Read more:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/05/31/hundreds-salmonella-cases-tied-to-chicks/#ixzz1wVdu8nxl

http://www.webmd.com/news/20120530/thousands-of-infections-from-1-poultry-hatchery

Hmmm... my chicks came from New Mexico (I ordered from Welp, but they have a "ship point" in New Mexico). Well, I suppose that if they have salmonella we would have been sick by now...

One in Ohio too apparently:
http://health.usnews.com/health-new...atchery-now-linked-to-salmonella-in-23-states

They will use this to attack the back yard chicken movement. Not a good time for a report like this to come out. I mean, 300 cases since 2004 related to handling of live poultry out of 50 million chicks shipped each year (since 2004 that would be 400 million chicks?!?). That seems to me to be a small % to me. Most of those cases were children under 5. The message should not be "raising backyard chickens is hazardous". It should be "don't let little kids cuddle and kiss chicks" and make them wash after playing with them, but that won't be the message that is sent.

Last edited:

They're not exactly buddying up, but at least they're still on the roost. It's a start...

(If you zoom in on Aggie on the right, you can see her giving them the stink eye.)

Last edited:
It is like Aggie sent them into the corner for a time out and is giving them the "and stay there until I say so" look.

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom