Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

OK everyone here is the latest picture of Chipmunk. Tell me that SHE doesn't have a saddle and/or hackle feathers - I really don't see it. Roberta, you would know best since you know who the parents are - any pointers? What breed combo is SHE?

Also I've noticed Tiana has a crossed beak lately, but it doesn't seem to be affecting her ability to eat. Is this something she'll grow out of?
Can you send a shot of Chip's back (you know, aerial style)? That way we can see if those beautiful, tolbuntesque, drapy looking feathers are pointy or rounded... I will keep thinking pullet thoughts for you, but that looks like a lot of comb and waddle for a chick without feathers on the head yet.

Last edited:
OK everyone here is the latest picture of Chipmunk. Tell me that SHE doesn't have a saddle and/or hackle feathers - I really don't see it. Roberta, you would know best since you know who the parents are - any pointers? What breed combo is SHE?

Also I've noticed Tiana has a crossed beak lately, but it doesn't seem to be affecting her ability to eat. Is this something she'll grow out of?
LOVE where you have the waterer! Bet you never get shavings in it!

Can you send a shot of Chip's back (you know, arial style)? That way we can see if those beautiful, tolbuntesque, drapy looking feathers are pointy or rounded... I will keep thinking pullet thoughts for you, but that looks like a lot of comb and waddle for a chick without feathers on the head yet.

Looks kind of red too

I don't have any recent overhead pics of Chippy but the ones I do have the feathers are rounded. So you know, it's a girl. It's a GIRL. ;-P I'll see if I can get some shots later on though.

Don't worry, they make a huge mess out of the waterer no matter where it is. You'd think they were half-duck or something.

I have to show off my garden now - please all tell me it looks incredibly neat and tidy.
Wow! What an incredibly neat and tidy garden!!
big_smile.png

Been busy gardening and such when I get home from school. Tutoring is pretty much on hiatus for now, although two of my clients want to continue through July and August, etc. Also got a call from a girl I tutor SAT with - she's got a client for us, starting in August.

I've had all the girls outside for the last few afternoons. The babies were so stinky, I put them in a dog crate in the coop. So now I have three separate flocks. The big girls are up on the roost, the little girls have gone back to their cozy corner and the babies are in the dog crate. Oh, why can't we all just get along?? I guess sooner or later, when they all get used to free-ranging together, they'll mix. Or not.

I'm going to take pictures of the babies. I think 2 of the 3 Light Sussex are roos, and the only White Orpington also. But one of the Light Sussex looks like a pullet to me (at least in comparison to the other 2) so after all that I still got a girl. That puts me at 11. I think I should have an even dozen, don't you? Exchequer Leghorn? Coronation Sussex? White Orpington?

I've been on an emotional roller coaster lately. I don't know whether to be sad or happy that the year is finally over. I'm terrified of doing nothing, but excited about the possibilities of free time. I just ordered like 6 quilt patterns from Grit, Bobby's going to teach me to play the piano, and I just found the hands-down cutest crocheted chick pattern of all time. (Heather, I found a nice set of egg cozies, but need to tweak the pattern/yarn combo. I want them to be perfect!)

I also took a book out of the library. My mother recommended it. It's called "Life, Love and Elephants". Now if I could only stop falling out of the hammock, I'd be all set...
th.gif

It's 2:30 in the morning and the racoons are becoming a nuisance. Time to think about relocating them or another solution. The rabies did a good job of keeping their population down for quite a number of years. Now they are back.

These were juveniles I saw and I don't think they will go after the girls just yet. Going to bungee the garbage can lids and think about live traps.

Guess I'm up for a while...

It's 2:30 in the morning and the racoons are becoming a nuisance. Time to think about relocating them or another solution. The rabies did a good job of keeping their population down for quite a number of years. Now they are back.
These were juveniles I saw and I don't think they will go after the girls just yet. Going to bungee the garbage can lids and think about live traps.
We heard something outside about 1:30 this morning. Sounded like a raccoon. The dog wigged out, so I went outside to check it out. "I'll see what the problem is, Pa." The girls were fine, nothing in the backyard. It may have been out front. They don't bother our garbage, but the tree across the street seems to be a favorite hang out. I guess you're being more rural makes them more of a problem.

Forget the live traps. Get Caleb on the job!

I can't even let my chickens out anymore they're so bad! During day I'm shooing them like flies! They take chickens right in front of me...so brazen! Time to take down trap. No relocating; against the law here. Besides, you gotta go pretty far and they're not paying for my gas! Always like this in the spring but especially brazen this year.

Back
Top Bottom