Southern States Has Changed it's Feed

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
They don't have what I used to use anymore and the lady I spoke with, iirc the asst manager and quite knowledgeable, recommended this. Nutrition looks good but she didn't say it was medicated. .

There's no cautions on it in re: eggs or meat and it mentions feeding turkeys up to market weight. Any advice?

@U_Stormcrow ?

IMG_20221227_113819436.jpg

I would not use medicated feed. Bacitracin was used in the past to help prevent enteritis, an intestinal infection in poultry and other animals. Do you have another feed store or TSC around? Have you asked if SS is just out of your normal feed? You can always order good brands from Chewys or Amazon, but that is expensive.

@3KillerBs what do you normally get and what are you feeding (Quail, Turkey, Chicken...?)

I haven't been to SS in several months.
IF I wanted an All Flock Feed from them, then I'd use "Flock Balancer Booster" it used to actually be called "rooster booster feed" but I digress on that issue...
Flock Balancer is a 20% feed.
My SS also carries Naturewise All Flock Pellet, but I think you can get that at TSC as well. It's 18% and I've used it with no issues with Juveniles on up.

I've since switched to a "local mill" closer to home and currently use Blue Seal Home Fresh Multi-Flock Breeder Pellet (18% but it does have a bit more calcium than I prefer).

For Quail or Turkey, I'd try to find Tucker Milling Game Feed or Purina Game Starter (30%) works well. I like Tucker milling a little better, just depends on what I can find.

I agree, I would not use the medicated feed unless you have issues with Coccidiosis and/or Enteritis in your flock. IF you do, then I would consider using the one with Bacitracin IF that first (and only) bag is consumed for the first 14 days or so of life. If that makes sense. The amount of medication in the feed is likely nomimal, but it's not for long term feeding. IIRC, it's for use of no more than 14 days. I don't have the info in front of me at the moment, so you may want to look that up.

Alternatively, medicated chick starter (With Amprol/Amprolium) could be used, but the Bacitracin would definitely help if your game birds are prone to infection like Enteritis, Blue Comb, etc.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Do you have another feed store or TSC around? Have you asked if SS is just out of your normal feed?

Yes, there are other stores, but they are inconveniently far away and considerably more expensive.

I did ask and they are not just out of it, they have replaced what I used to get with new products.

@3KillerBs what do you normally get and what are you feeding (Quail, Turkey, Chicken...?)

I haven't been to SS in several months.
IF I wanted an All Flock Feed from them, then I'd use "Flock Balancer Booster" it used to actually be called "rooster booster feed" but I digress on that issue...
Flock Balancer is a 20% feed.

That is exactly what I used to get and I was quite pleased with it.

My flock, which is only chickens -- hens, pullets, rooster, cockerels (and periodically chicks) -- has shown every evidence of vigorous good health over the past several years on that diet.

I've since switched to a "local mill" closer to home and currently use Blue Seal Home Fresh Multi-Flock Breeder Pellet (18% but it does have a bit more calcium than I prefer).

Unfortunately, there are no local mills in my area. IIRC, from when I last checked, the nearest is well over an hour's drive and the savings on the feed are insufficient to justify the cost of the gas for the quantities I use within a reasonable time (about 200lbs/month plus the occasional 50# bag of medicated chick feed in season).

I agree, I would not use the medicated feed unless you have issues with Coccidiosis and/or Enteritis in your flock. IF you do, then I would consider using the one with Bacitracin IF that first (and only) bag is consumed for the first 14 days or so of life. If that makes sense. The amount of medication in the feed is likely nomimal, but it's not for long term feeding. IIRC, it's for use of no more than 14 days

I have no health issues in my flock and I don't want to weaken their health or create antibiotic resistance.

I bought my usual 2, 50-lb bags, which lasts me about 2 weeks, so I'm thinking I'll feed this because I have it, I'm clear out of my previous feed, and haven't time to go back today, but I'll try to get something different next time.

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it.

Yes, there are other stores, but they are inconveniently far away and considerably more expensive.

I did ask and they are not just out of it, they have replaced what I used to get with new products.

That is exactly what I used to get and I was quite pleased with it.

My flock, which is only chickens -- hens, pullets, rooster, cockerels (and periodically chicks) -- has shown every evidence of vigorous good health over the past several years on that diet.

Unfortunately, there are no local mills in my area. IIRC, from when I last checked, the nearest is well over an hour's drive and the savings on the feed are insufficient to justify the cost of the gas for the quantities I use within a reasonable time (about 200lbs/month plus the occasional 50# bag of medicated chick feed in season).

I have no health issues in my flock and I don't want to weaken their health or create antibiotic resistance.

I bought my usual 2, 50-lb bags, which lasts me about 2 weeks, so I'm thinking I'll feed this because I have it, I'm clear out of my previous feed, and haven't time to go back today, but I'll try to get something different next time.

Thanks for all the information. I appreciate it.
Ain't that the pits!

I had to do some switching about this year. SS was the furthest away but still fairly reasonable on the prices, so...driving a little more balanced out the $$. Plus I REALLY liked that Flock Balancer, I even used it for chicks, just ran it through the food processor. Seriously, the one and only feed you needed for the entire chicken's life.

Now, the $$ doesn't add up, so I've gone a different route. I wouldn't be surprised if my SS isn't carrying that anymore, they seemed like they were making changes before I stopped going out there.

Now, the $$ doesn't add up, so I've gone a different route. I wouldn't be surprised if my SS isn't carrying that anymore, they seemed like they were making changes before I stopped going out there.

It's probably the entire chain.

Also, the last couple times I could get it the price had gone up $3 per bag. :(

Back
Top Bottom