Southern States Store

love southern states! the employees even offer to HELP! the only time i ever saw them let their stocks go low, was around december or january and they were out of chick starter, which is totally understandable, since not too many people are buying it then.

my local one doesn't carry chicks, but i know some do.

Edited to say: i do believe you can place orders for chicks with them though and they will deliver to the store, but they do not have a formal "chick days".... (at least at mine)

Last edited:
I have worked for Southern States for 9 years. All stores are pretty much different. At our location we no longer carry anything but fertilizer, chemicals, and seed. Other SSC stores in this area carry feed, fencing, etc. I think they base it on what's needed the most in the area. But if they don't have what you need they can usually get it from another store in a day or so. We get a couple of bags of feed or whatever for people as well as myself all the time.

Quote:
My Mom works at a Southern States store and they get chicks a couple of times a year, for Easter and then a little later May I think. I have always liked shopping at Southern States but of course they don't have one up here in Minnesota so I go to the local small feedstore for my feed and such. Everyone at SS has always been very friendly and helpful. I never liked TSC though I am sure other's have really enjoyed their selections. Our local "big" supply store is Fleet Farm and they never have chicks... but that is ok. I have a hatchery just 6 miles from my house!

If you want to know when/if they sell chicks just give them a call. I know the chicks in my mom's store go fast and they only order 2,000 (not all at the same time).

We have 2 Southern State stores in our area. They are both owned by one family. They have just about everything you could ask for. They also do chain saw repair and sales along with mower sales and repair. They carry a wide varity of feeds and they will take orders for croups of poultry and they have chick days also. They do the chick days about 4 times a year. The one closeest to me is 5 miles away and they are having their first chick days on March 22nd. Last year they got in 500 chicks the first time and they were all spoken for by that Friday. They also get in ducks the week of Easter and then 1 more time later. I have gotten 2 types of turkeys from them Burbon Reds and Narragansetts.
I usually buy the southern states brand layer mash from them even though I have gone to TSC when I was in a tight for feed on a Saturday afternoon. Our SS closes at noon on Saturdays except in the summer.
Our SS also carries all kinds of seeds for the garden. I also get my plants from them and my fertilizer. I guess we are lucky to have such a good store. The people who run it know all kinds of stuff. The people at our TSC just look good for the most part. They hire 2 or 3 peopl;e who know a little about farm stuff and spread them around. Then they hire a bunch of kids who have never even seen a farm or done more than cut grass. TSC looks good but the prices are also a lot higher than our Southern States store. I live in Eastern NC and no I don't work at SS or have any family that works at SS. I just really appreciate their good service and their good prices along with a very good selection of product.

Our Southern States is having chick days this year. I pre ordered mine and plan to pick them up tonight. 5 new chicks to add to my flock.
big_smile.png
Much better prices on feed than Tractor Supply. I really enjoy our store, the folks in it know what they are talking about. Our Tractor Supply is OK, still go there for sale items, but have almost converted 100% over to SS. Ours offers feed, seed, fertilizer, garden supplies and tools, plant, all types of farm items (fencing, gates, feed and water troughs etc...).

Back
Top Bottom