soybean meal..

Quote:
old.gif

Soylent Green! It is much more nutritious and palatable than the red and yellow varieties!!

big_smile.png

Soylent Green! LOL! That's too funny!

Now I don't want to fan the flames of controversy here (especially since I am new) but do want to offer a differing point of view. Several members of my family have allergies, including some food allergies. My daughter's are of the life threatening sort that send her to the emergency room or requires a 911 call to save her life on average once a year. This is after she shoots herself with 2-3 Epi Pens before they arrive. Scary stuff. We can't grow corn anymore because when she visits she gets sick if she gets too close and breathes in the pollen. She's also quite allergic to soy. We manage okay with chicken feed as long as she stays away from it and doesn't hug on baby chicks that have the powder in their down. She cannot eat processed food at all because nearly all of it contains corn and/or soy in one form or another. So far, eggs and chicken meat that have been fed soy and corn do not cause a reaction. At some point they might. So, not wanting to tempt fate, she eats very little of either. We can feed the chickens food without soy but so far I've never found any commercial variety that does not contain corn.

My point is, there is a niche market for products from chickens that have not been fed soy products. Some folks that buy these products do so out of necessity for their very real, non-political health conditions such as my daughter's. If you are selling or planning on selling eggs or meat, it might be worthwhile to see if there is this niche in your area. The non-soy food is more expensive but the profit margin is higher than that of conventionally fed poultry products.

Susan

Quote:
old.gif

Soylent Green! It is much more nutritious and palatable than the red and yellow varieties!!

big_smile.png

Soylent Green! LOL! That's too funny!

Now I don't want to fan the flames of controversy here (especially since I am new) but do want to offer a differing point of view. Several members of my family have allergies, including some food allergies. My daughter's are of the life threatening sort that send her to the emergency room or requires a 911 call to save her life on average once a year. This is after she shoots herself with 2-3 Epi Pens before they arrive. Scary stuff. We can't grow corn anymore because when she visits she gets sick if she gets too close and breathes in the pollen. She's also quite allergic to soy. We manage okay with chicken feed as long as she stays away from it and doesn't hug on baby chicks that have the powder in their down. She cannot eat processed food at all because nearly all of it contains corn and/or soy in one form or another. So far, eggs and chicken meat that have been fed soy and corn do not cause a reaction. At some point they might. So, not wanting to tempt fate, she eats very little of either. We can feed the chickens food without soy but so far I've never found any commercial variety that does not contain corn.

My point is, there is a niche market for products from chickens that have not been fed soy products. Some folks that buy these products do so out of necessity for their very real, non-political health conditions such as my daughter's. If you are selling or planning on selling eggs or meat, it might be worthwhile to see if there is this niche in your area. The non-soy food is more expensive but the profit margin is higher than that of conventionally fed poultry products.

Susan

Good points, but that doesn't pertain to me. I understand the trouble such allergies can provide. My youngest daughter had a corn allergy for a few years (it seems better now although we still stay away from popcorn and other items). For a while we had to avoid corn syrup, corn meal and any other corn product.

I will just be mixing in a third soybean meal to help offset the cost of feed. No-one has provided a reason not to as of yet.

Ok I may have said the wrong thing. The SOY BEANs that we ground when I was a kid may have been heated just not by us. They were bulk, 100 ton to a load and they were whole and they just looked like dried beans. As I remember we used it in Dairy, Beef and Poultry Feeds that we mixed.

foux

I like to feed my flock a coarser diet, therefore often feed whole wheat (feed wheat), millet, cracked corn, BOSS, etc. I need to up the protein content during the times free-ranging is not possible. I prefer animal proteins, but finding a reasonable source of that is not possible for me. I just do not like feeding ONLY a layer crumble or pellets, as this is designed for confined birds and it is digested very fast (as it is designed to do). I just prefer the whole, cheaper grains. Meat based cat food is a great choice to increase protein sources, but too expensive for a flock of over 100 birds.

Well, the price is right. I can get meal for nothing. It helps that the meal market is bad right now.

Back
Top Bottom