space for new chicks

JENNIFERG

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
East Aurora, NY
Hi! I'll be getting my chicks shipped next week and I am wondering about the size of the box/container that they will stay in until they go outside. I ordered 12 chicks, is a 30 gallon bin large enough? I think it should be fine to start but I'm concerned when they start to grow...should I do two bins and connect them or just wait until they get bigger and then deal with it? Thanks :)

in experience I always go as big as I can I just got 35 and I use 8x9 foot and then they don't peck each other and they can have room to fly a little and put a couple boxes in there and they fly up on those and use them for sleeping ...and couple branches off the boxes to roost.ect.. in small spaces you will see pecking and such and slower development{ although only slightly,but enough to notice}} ...but yes your 30 gallon will suffice...

I don't see how it will work. Maybe for 6 chicks. I'd get two and either have two separate groups or connect them somehow.

It can possibly work, I have five one week old chicks and I have them in a normal roughneck rubbermaid bin but I will take them out soon because chickens grow fast.

I have 6 one month old chicks in a small kiddie pool (the smaller of the ones sold at most large grocery stores in the summer) we buy them for our dogs and 2 -50 lb dogs can lay side by side in it. It is just barely big enough for my 6 chicks and the one gallon waterer and the long tray feeder (to keep the meanie from hogging the round feeder we had) and the dog dish used for a dust bath.....If it was just the chicks not so bad but once you add in the feeders there is a lot of space taken up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom