1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

space

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunfarm12, Jan 19, 2013.

1. sunfarm12

sunfarm12 New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    How much space does a baby chick need and what happens if they'er behind glass and the glass is banged on?Will something happen to the chicks brains?

2. Brenasun

Brenasun Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2013
    Baby chicks need very little room, but they grow really quickly. By about 6 weeks, they need about 2 ft per bird. Or at least, that's what I get mine. I don't know if tapping on the glass will affect their brains, but I can't imagine it would be good for their hearing. Or their stress levels. I don't think a chick under those circumstances would be very friendly.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you're thinking about brooding chicks in a aquarium, please re-think. There's no airflow, the glass holds the heat, and there's not enough room to get out from under the heat when they need to. Find a big cardboard box, or better yet, two. Cut a chickie door between them and put the heat lamp in one box and the food and water in the other box.

A day old chick doesn't need much room, but a three week old chick does. When you start trying to crowd them you get pecking or cannibalism. And consider how long they'll need to be in the brooder before you can move them outside. If it's going to be six or eight weeks, you'll need at about two feet per bird---that really adds up!

1 person likes this.
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I used a 40 gallon breeder tank (wider than tall) as a brooder last year, and it was fantastic! I did replace the glass top with hardware clothe for air flow though. The chicks were super friendly. You're right though, they couldn't stay in there long. I kept them in the aquarium for about a week before they went into my second brooder, which is a homemade hutch. My whole family loved the aquarium, I put it in the living room and we literally had chicken tv.

OP- I can't imagine any animal in a glass enclosure would like having the glass tapped on, so I definitely wouldn't go there. Good luck!
    Nikki

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by