Space

chasiekitten12

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
I want more space then we were originally planning we have not built it yet but should i make it bigger would it help? In a 4 by 4 i could fit 4 to 6 what about 5 by 5 how do i convince them we need some more space how many chickens could i fit in a 5 by 5 coop with a 12 by 12 run the coop would be 25 square feet and the run is 144 square feet how many chickens could fit in there

First, follow the link in my signature. It's not a magic formula but its about how you manage them, your climate, the flock make-up, and many more things. Instead of thinking how many can I shoehorn in this space, think how many you want and then decide how you can give them sufficient space.

First, follow the link in my signature. It's not a magic formula but its about how you manage them, your climate, the flock make-up, and many more things. Instead of thinking how many can I shoehorn in this space, think how many you want and then decide how you can give them sufficient space.

X 2 - such a better approach to take when planning -- and is what I had said yesterday in your post on this same question, OP.

Last edited:
I mean how many i will problobly only get a few but how many could fit in by a 5 by 4 coop with a 12 by 12 run

please may i just know the minimum and maximum i can fit in a 4 by 5 coop (20 sq. feet) with a 12 by 12 run (144 sq. feet)

If you plan to keep them inside the run always you'll want at least 10 sq ft per bird. So I suppose if you wanted to go a few over 6 large or 10 bantam you could, but I wouldn't shove 20 in there or anything. The more space they have the happier they will be. If you get too crowded then vices come out and it's best to avoid that instead of deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom