Spalding question

silkie33

Songster
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Carthage,N.Y.
OK, I know you get Spalding by crossing a IB with a Java. What color do you get with crossing said spaldings? A higher % of Java spalding? Sorry if this is a repeated ? did some searching and could not find an answer.

ib and green , the higher % will look more green, but they can take after either. Spalding have been bred in many color, like a white spalding.

Quote:
You can no longer call it a Java Spalding, Now it is a Green Spalding. You can breed the siblings together but the % will still be half (1/2) the fastest way to bump up % is to breed your 1/2% siblings back to a Pure Muticus type bird, but this will still be slow going. If I remember right it takes about 10 years to get to 7/8%. I would have to dig throught records to make sure.

The first cross between a purebred Blue and a purebred Green will give you a 50%/50%. That offspring crossed back with a purebred Green, will give you a 75% Green/25% Blue. That offspring crossed back to a purebred Green will produce a 87.5 Green/12.5 Blue. A bird that is 87.5% Green and 12.5% Blue is also called 7/8.

If every bird in the program produced fertile eggs at 2 years old, it would take six years to get the first set of 7/8 chicks.

Ernie Haire
Arp, Texas

Back
Top Bottom