Spanish moss for bedding

i wouldnt .. tangling is the problem .. its nice and fluffy but the filaments that connect it into long hanging strands are quite strong and almost like fishing line and im sure all your chickens would have it wrapped around their legs dragging pieces around constantly if it was used as flooring, bedding ..

Does your Spanish moss have red bugs (chiggers in Texan speak)? In the Carolinas handling Spanish moss can result in a few weeks of itching.
I have yet to see ANYTHING on this Spanish Moss. Perhaps microscopic??? We've been here now for nearly ten years. I've never seen anything on this moss. We live 1/2 mile from the Brazos River. Maybe that's the reason???

i wouldnt .. tangling is the problem .. its nice and fluffy but the filaments that connect it into long hanging strands are quite strong and almost like fishing line and im sure all your chickens would have it wrapped around their legs dragging pieces around constantly if it was used as flooring, bedding ..
Good point. But maybe I could cut it up?

I wasn't really planning to get my chicks today....BUT I DID! My husband said it was because he was drunk that I got them, when he wasn't looking! Of course that's not true....HE helped me pick them out!. There were several people there at Tractor Supply (I know) buying chickens. One lady named Yvette helped me with some advice about what to get for them. And she told us to "get the fast moving chicks." And so, Sugar, Sweetie, Chirpy, and Cocoa have made their debut in our household. Now, I REALLY have to hurry and finish the hen cage/run. It will be 20' X 20' and 10' high. I was also able to do some "scrapping" to day at a neighbor's place (yes I asked permission). These babies are going to have everything, including a vanity sink! I might even put in a plastic mirror! Pictures tomorrow.

Thank you all very much! I have horses so I buy hay anyway, but, heck Spanish moss is free! I may try it and let ya'll know how it works out.
Right now, I just got my babies 2 days ago. They're now using wood chips, but we have a LOT of the Spanish Moss laying around the yard all the time. So, when they get bigger, I'm certainly going to try it out. I have 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Easter Eggers; their names are: Sweatie, Sugar, Cocoa and Joy!

Attachments

• IMG_4493.JPG
    IMG_4493.JPG
    359.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4491.JPG
    IMG_4491.JPG
    402.5 KB · Views: 2
Rain garden is right about bugs in the Spanish Moss. Here in Georgia, we are more likely to get redbugs than not just picking it up by hand. Also, not sure how you are planning to dry it, but remember, it is a living organism that absorbs moisture from the air. It can stay quite damp.

Back
Top Bottom