Spanish (white faced black, white and blue)

Matt,

I'm sorry, that's just not correct. The Minorca was added to the American Standard of Excellence in 1888 under the name "Minorca". No red faced black spanish were ever in there.

The Spanish and Minorca were both developed as breeds in England, but have been distinct breeds for as far back as there is any documentation (ie the late 1700s) and had different centers of development. Lewis Wright states that Minorcas appear to have been imported to the West of England, in at least two instances, by around 1830, from the Spanish island possession of Minorca. They were first locally popular there, in the West of England. Wright states that early on, in this local area, many early owners simply called them "Spanish"; however, this was because of their Minorcan origin, and not because they were a variety of the White Faced Black Spanish, and it was only for a brief time in parts of very early 1800s Britain. By the time the breed made it to the American standard it had been called the Minorca for years, and the White Faced Black Spanish was called simply the Spanish or Black Spanish.

WFBS are a distinct breed with quite a different physical type than the Minorca, had been in England since the 1700s at least, exact geographic origin unknown, some were brought from Holland, and they were a popular egg laying breed in the London area. They reached the US well before the Minorca and have been in all the US poultry standards from the very beginning, with a white face.

"Red Faced Black Spanish" have never been in the standard.

While both the Spanish and the Minorca have a mediterranean origin, along with the Leghorn, Andalusian and other kindred breeds, after over 200 years of separate breeding they have very distinct characters from one another.

If you have any sources to cite, I would be most interested to hear the details.

Last edited:
Matt,

I'm sorry, that's just not correct. The Minorca was added to the American Standard of Excellence in 1888 under the name "Minorca". No red faced black spanish were ever in there.

The Spanish and Minorca were both developed as breeds in England, but have been distinct breeds for as far back as there is any documentation (ie the late 1700s) and had different centers of development. Lewis Wright states that Minorcas appear to have been imported to the West of England, in at least two instances, by around 1830, from the Spanish island possession of Minorca. They were first locally popular there, in the West of England. Wright states that early on, in this local area, many early owners simply called them "Spanish"; however, this was because of their Minorcan origin, and not because they were a variety of the White Faced Black Spanish, and it was only for a brief time in parts of very early 1800s Britain. By the time the breed made it to the American standard it had been called the Minorca for years, and the White Faced Black Spanish was called simply the Spanish or Black Spanish.

WFBS are a distinct breed with quite a different physical type than the Minorca, had been in England since the 1700s at least, exact geographic origin unknown, some were brought from Holland, and they were a popular egg laying breed in the London area. They reached the US well before the Minorca and have been in all the US poultry standards from the very beginning, with a white face.

"Red Faced Black Spanish" have never been in the standard.

While both the Spanish and the Minorca have a mediterranean origin, along with the Leghorn, Andalusian and other kindred breeds, after over 200 years of separate breeding they have very distinct characters from one another.

If you have any sources to cite, I would be most interested to hear the details.

Ok.

Matt

While the Spanish and the Minorca may have developed along different paths and now have distinctly differing types I do believe at one time they had a common ancestral history in their making and I believe that one has the potential to lift the other back to a place of prominence within the Mediterranean Class. Others may not hold my view point and that is certainly fine, but I believe that I am capable of breeding two birds together with the intention of achieving the goal of a specified type. When I finish this project I will not have Spainorcas, I will have White Faced Black Spanish that meet the Standard description for Size, Type and Color (both in feather and face). No serious breeder ever endeavored to make, sustain or revive a breed/variety without effort and dedication to the task, in most instances this was done by crossing breeds that were in no way similar but had a trait that was desired and therefore incorporated into the breed/variety being worked with at that time.
In summary, believe working with Spanish and Minorcas to improve the Spanish makes perfect sense and will yield a favorable result in less time than trying to improve Spanish by crossing them with any other Mediterranean Class of fowl.

While the Spanish and the Minorca may have developed along different paths and now have distinctly differing types I do believe at one time they had a common ancestral history in their making and I believe that one has the potential to lift the other back to a place of prominence within the Mediterranean Class. Others may not hold my view point and that is certainly fine, but I believe that I am capable of breeding two birds together with the intention of achieving the goal of a specified type. When I finish this project I will not have Spainorcas, I will have White Faced Black Spanish that meet the Standard description for Size, Type and Color (both in feather and face). No serious breeder ever endeavored to make, sustain or revive a breed/variety without effort and dedication to the task, in most instances this was done by crossing breeds that were in no way similar but had a trait that was desired and therefore incorporated into the breed/variety being worked with at that time.
In summary, believe working with Spanish and Minorcas to improve the Spanish makes perfect sense and will yield a favorable result in less time than trying to improve Spanish by crossing them with any other Mediterranean Class of fowl.
I know this has been a while but if you will read in the history of the Minorca you will see that they were developed off of the White Face Black Spanish and were called Red Face Black Spanish.

https://books.google.com/books?id=N...MINORCA) VS WHITE FACED BLACK SPANISH&f=false

I agree with you Matt, the Spanish are considered the oldest breed in the Mediterranean class and it is quite possible are the progenitors of all breeds within the Mediterranean class. My F1 crosses came with partial white faces so I am hoping the F2s will have close to a full white face. Crossing with the Minorcas has certainly improved the combs on the Spanish, the Spanish I have seen all have horrible combs that look like a crosscut saw blade, the Minorca blood has corrected this and I have cockerels with very nice five and six point combs.

I agree with you Matt, the Spanish are considered the oldest breed in the Mediterranean class and it is quite possible are the progenitors of all breeds within the Mediterranean class. My F1 crosses came with partial white faces so I am hoping the F2s will have close to a full white face. Crossing with the Minorcas has certainly improved the combs on the Spanish, the Spanish I have seen all have horrible combs that look like a crosscut saw blade, the Minorca blood has corrected this and I have cockerels with very nice five and six point combs.

Stay the course Bo...I would love to see the WFBS restored to their former glory. They are majestic looking birds when they are right. I have often thought about getting some but I already have to many projects...LOL. I do however have some really good Minorcas.

Matt

I was just reading this thread and thought of Barbezieux. It is a large chicken, but has a red face with large white earlobes. Would a breed like that work. BTW I am not a breeder, just asking out of curiosity

Probably would work but there may be other variables with this breed that would be harder obstacles to overcome than with the Minorca.

Quote:
I have blacks, whites hatched and my first batch of White Faced Blue Spanish are in the incubator now. I am excited about the possibilities with these birds, I have always liked the Spanish and look forward to getting them show worthy and in the show halls as soon as this Avian Flu has passed. Looks like no shows for me this fall but that is OK, I'll spend my time working on the birds and getting a good mature string ready to show next year; I will miss seeing all my poultry showing friends this fall.
There is a lady showing Spanish in California and she is doing very well with hers; one judge friend of mine who placed one of her Spanish show champion stated that they were the best he had seen. I'm glad there are others out there interested in them and other Mediterranean breeds; we have been discussing a possible Mediterranean Breed Club on the Showbird forum, this club would encompass all Mediterranean breeds both standard and bantam. The Mediterranean birds are so graceful and productive as well, why wouldn't everyone want at least one Med breed on their farm???

Back
Top Bottom