Sparrow with bone exposed

Brahma Chicken5000

Araucana Addict
Sep 26, 2017
Central New Jersey
So this is the second time I’ve found this sparrow in my chicken run. His leg bone is exposed and his foot is missing. I have him in a small bird cage covered with a towel. I put out mealworms and water with nutridrench for him. I also put a piece of cardboard on the wire floor for him. He made some normal poop in the water dish so I changed it. What should I feed him? Bird seed for finches? I plan to dust him with sevin dust soon.
Any advice is appreciated.
A77EE20F-DB77-4FCC-8992-5043BD137153.jpeg
34E2A614-F5D0-412F-8721-4A79ECB7A5DC.jpeg

Contact a local veterinarian, they can give you the name of some wildlife rehabilitators that might take him in.
Meanwhile, regular bird seed or chicken pellets a bit smashed up. Fresh water and put him somewhere warm and quiet for now :)

Contact a local veterinarian, they can give you the name of some wildlife rehabilitators that might take him in.
Meanwhile, regular bird seed or chicken pellets a bit smashed up. Fresh water and put him somewhere warm and quiet for now :)
He ate the mealworms and I just picked up some finch and canary feed. He’s a house sparrow, an invasive species in the U.S.

I couldn't see very well in the picture. If you can't set the leg, the best bet might be to clip it off and just keep him for a pet. Wildlife rehabs often don't care for invasive species like sparrows and starlings. They just feed them to something else.

I couldn't see very well in the picture. If you can't set the leg, the best bet might be to clip it off and just keep him for a pet. Wildlife rehabs often don't care for invasive species like sparrows and starlings. They just feed them to something else.
I can see how wildlife rehabs would put native species over invasive species. He is eating his bird seed well, but is still skittish.

Back
Top Bottom