Sparrows in coop

aitchbe

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 4, 2008
It seems the wild birds in my yard have discovered that there is always food and water available in my girls' coop. i keep the door propped open during the day so the chickens can go in and out. but now the sparrows get in (i also saw one go THROUGH the holes in the chicken wire) and fly around like crazy. which has attracted a stray tomcat who loves to go after them. that activity plus the possiblity of diseases carried by the wild birds has me concerned. does anyone else have this problem (or a solution)?

Thanks

hb

Put your food away where the sparrows cannot get to it during the day.

Your chickens probaby get up before you let them out, so they will eat and drink first thing when they get off the roost.

Also, try to put your birdies in a little earlier at night so they can eat and drink before they roost.

Wild birds are a menace. They can bring disease and external parasites! And, they will eat you out of house and home.

Last year I had Sparrows all over the place in and out of coops and pens, eating everything in sight. I searched online and found a Sparrow Trap. It worked like a charm. I killed them as they were trapped and after about 12 birds, they seemed to leave here. There were at least 30 around everyday. I now have Titmice at the feeders and Chickadees, Bluebirds raised two clutches in my birdhouses this year and I only had to put the trap out once, I caught 3 and have not had any more since. I know is cruel but Sparrows are interlopers and interfere with the other birds natural to this country. Why they brought Sparrows here from Europe, I don't know. Same with Starlings, it seems they are indestructible and they also have over populated to the point of it being a serious blight.

Back
Top Bottom