Spaulding?

Here he is about 2 months into treatment, not very pretty site
1f61e.png

Thank you. Yes he is parasite free, vet says he is finally over the worms and infection and has regrown his missing feathers. He had lost most of his neck feathers from the small cage and I guess the lack of nutrition. He is very active and loves treats.
The poor boy!!! Green peafowl and Spalding peafowl (especially high % spaldings) are more prone to feather picking when they do not have enough space and are stressed. The poor guy was probably pulling out all of those feathers himself from all of the terrible stress!!!!
hit.gif

The before and after is amazing! Was this the only peafowl the previous owners had? How did you find him there? I know you don't want to say too much, but I am just curious.

It doesn't really matter what green he is crossed with since he is a Spalding and you would just call him a Spalding, but I doubt he was crossed with a Burmese green that is for sure. I think most Spaldings are crossed with Javanese green peafowl, and I would guess that is what he is crossed with.

Is he friendly or is he afraid of people? That is awesome that you rescued him!

The before and after is amazing! Was this the only peafowl the previous owners had? How did you find him there? I know you don't want to say too much, but I am just curious.
No there were 2 hens and I purchased all three, all were in bad shape, it took lots of time and work but all are plump and parasite free. The people had moved and left them with friends who did not want them or know what to do with them so through the grapevine I heard about them and contacted the new owners and they acted like they wanted to keep them. When I went over there I was probably not as nice as I should have been I was pretty upset at their condition, after I explained what all they would need to be taken care of they were ready for me to buy them.
He is very shy but he is getting better. If I sit he will walk fairly close and just look at me. I think he is trying to decide if I am okay or not, but I always face him and of course Bella always goes in with me. My guard dog, she lets them know I am alpha and they all follow the pecking order.

Wow it is a good thing you heard about the birds. That is a sad situation. You would think the old owners would have sold them to make some money. I would have trouble being nice to the people as well. These days you can easily research how to care for peafowl on the internet. Surprizingly you can find more about peafowl care than the care of other 'exotic' animals.
The peacock sounds like he is warming up to you. That sounds like what my birds would do before they got to the point where they would eat out of my hand.

Back
Top Bottom