Speaking of bread....

SterlingAcres

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Poconos, PA
If you make yours homemade, how do you slice it?

I've been cutting mine on it's side with a nice sharp knife, but my slices look awful. LOL Any tips?

I make bread in my bread maker all the time, and the first thing is a good knife, and a very sharp one. A dull knife is a disaster with fresh, soft crusted, bread.

We use either a sharp bread knife, or a slightly serrated, long, meat knife; also sharp. Some bread knives are better for hard crusted breads, or harder loaves, like French, or sour dough. I like knives which are sharp, but also thinner bladed, and not as tall bladed, either.

Basically it's a matter of resistance. The taller the blade, or thicker the blade, the less well it goes through soft, fresh bread.

Then, cool your bread completely. I can't always resist a warm piece of bread, but you can get a better cut, usually, off a cool loaf.

When you cut, you can make a tiny starter hole with the tip, like you do with a tomato, then start cutting there. Again, a more toothsome "country loaf" doesn't need this step.

Don't put too much pressure on the knife, cut gently, and if you meet with resistance, stop, and realign.

Thankfully a slightly odd shaped piece of bread tastes as nice as a perfect one, but it's less desireable for sandwiches, and you might get less slices.

You have to just practice the way to move your arm and hand, and some people seem to do better than others. I let my husband cut the bread any day. He's amazing. He can dice 30 onions, and they'd all be finely minced, and the same size. And he can make the thinnest, most even bread slices I've ever seen. Much better than mine, though mine are pretty nice after years of doing it.

If there's someone in your family who has that knack, cultivate it, and have a cup of tea while you stand there and oooo and ahhhh over their efforts! ; ) And don't forget to give them a piece of fresh bread and butter, or jam, for their help.
big_smile.png

Really though, the proper tools, and some practice, is usually all it takes. Take it slow, and treat *yourself* to some bread and butter or jam afterwards!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom