speaking of guns....

What some people do not realize when they are saying not to kill, well have they dealt with a garden and 2 wood chucks? In a few months they have 4 babies, sweetest things in the land. You now have 6 eating YOUR FOOD! In a short time, those 4 babies move in hubby or wife, and new family and you can have . Then they make holes that your apt to fall in, your horse can fall in and break a let, cow goat or llama, what ever. Then the other preditors, you cannot shoot cause they are protected, but at some point, the raccoons have just busted down on your hen house, disrupted the corn you planted, etc and are also known for diseases such as rabies, and you need to do away with them. Live trapping often is not safe, you are at risk of disease.
As a matter of fact, I find that most of my needs are met with a live trap and a .22 rifle. You have a safety, bolt action on mine, and no harsh effects when you discharge.
I use a live trap because I do not want to get someone cat-unless I'm after the cat to send to the human society.
Either way, thats my opinion.
big_smile.png

Thanks for your opinion, Spook, but that's not the approach I'm going to be taking -- except for the live trap part, of course!

With a bumm shoulder I would seriously look into an autoloader 12,,, and get the training!!!!!!!!!

Don't spend a lot of money on fancy wood,,, I'm 6'2'' and no shot gun fits me,,, I need the stock lengthened.

Get it to fit, join the gun club and shoot some trap with light loads, it's like driving a car, the more you do it, the more comfortable you will be,,, with a PAST recoil vest and pad, a fitted stock, you should be comfortable and able to handle any trouble.

Good luck and be safe

If you want to get to know a who is the best and most reliable local gun dealer, get to know your local deputies! When I was a deputy, we always knew who had the best deals, who sold the best quality weapons, and who was shady and just in it for the bucks. Find out where the locals hang out, and just approach them,(calmly, politely, and with both hands where they can see them:lol:) and ask where they buy their gear at locally, most wont reccommend someone because it is often against policy, but they can tell you where they shop the most often for their hunting stuff.

Quote:
Good thought.

OTOH -- when I was shopping for my new property, we went to see another property for sale just down the road from what I eventually bought. This other property was owned by a local sheriff's deputy. He had two beagles out back in a tiny pen -- with only very foul water that had obviously been sitting there uncleaned for several days, with rotten straw in it. The real estate agent insisted on cleaning out the water tub before we left, as well she should have. I've been wondering what that deputy thought when he got home, or if he even noticed!

Which is a long-winded way of saying, I wouldn't WANT to know where he got his guns!
he.gif

There are a lot of good comments here and not much to add, although a few things come to mind.

First, I would like to see you resist "playing" with guns. Either get serious about it or not at all.

Paintball guns, pellet guns etc. are what I mean. They do little to deter a determined predator. Reliance on them will leave you coming up short, eventually.

Play guns also do NOTHING to deter or stop two-legged predators. Criminals know there are people to prey on in the country. In fact, rural crime is on the rise. Law enforcement can only show up after the fact; their response is even less timely when out in the country. YOU are the first line of protection for you and our family.

Second, predators that kill livestock care little for such niceties as traps, non-lethal deterrents or you being "nice." They have one thing on their mind: your flock.

This doesn't change if you trap them. Now they are live and still your responsibility. See, in bringing a flock of chickens to your new home, you have lain a tempting buffet before them. That is your responsibility.

If you trap and relocate them, they either come back or take their single minded efforts to your neighbor. In some places THAT is against the law, and rightly so.

I am a big proponent of LPD - Layered Perimeter Defense. Fences, scent lines, dogs, all of these are your best starting point. If youre lucky, they will serve you well. But, as with most things, they cannot do it all.

That's when your earnestness will be tested and you will soon learn that it is either you or them. That is how the predators see it, I assure you. Blasting everything in sight with a gun is not the answer. But, when the chips are down, it is the one that works most often, with lasting effect.

If you havent read Bob Plamondons comments on this, I'd like to give you the link. He's a guy who has faced all you intend to meet. He gives good advice; read "The Cure For Crows..." here:

http://www.plamondon.com/ncp_newsletter070819.html

Amazondoc:

When it comes to firearms, I'll be more than glad to help quide you in regard to reliable brand, type and reasonable price.

As for shotguns, I personally prefer the Remington Arms, model 1100, semi-auto. If you don't intend to hunt, you can remove the plug and it will hold 5 shells. I also prefer the 12ga, however 20ga is quite adequate if you are recoil sensitive.

As for .22 rifles again a Reminton Arms, model 552, semi-auto is very reliable.

As for high power rifles, the .30-06 caliber is my lifelong choice again the Reminton Arms, model 700ADL is also a very reliable firearm.

All of the above may be found used in good condition that are not extremely expensive.

Send me an email if I can be of further help.

No, I do not have anything for sale.

Kentucky

Quote:
I *am* still thinking about paintball guns and pellet guns, especially as deterrents for any neighbors' dogs that might come by. However, the adaptability of the 20 gauge shotgun appeals to me -- you can determine its lethality simply by reloading.

Play guns also do NOTHING to deter or stop two-legged predators. Criminals know there are people to prey on in the country. In fact, rural crime is on the rise. Law enforcement can only show up after the fact; their response is even less timely when out in the country. YOU are the first line of protection for you and our family.

Any criminal that is both determined enough and well-armed enough to get past my dobermans would probably know how to shoot much better than me, anyway. But also refer back to my comment concerning the 20 gauge.

Second, predators that kill livestock care little for such niceties as traps, non-lethal deterrents or you being "nice." They have one thing on their mind: your flock.

Sure. Fortunately, I am smarter than they are.
wink.png

See, in bringing a flock of chickens to your new home, you have lain a tempting buffet before them. That is your responsibility.

Yup, and I take that responsibility seriously. Unfortunately, I suspect I am likely to have much more trouble from my own dogs than from the resident wild predator population -- and I can't exactly go around shooting the dogs if I screw up and give them access to the chickens.
wink.png

If you trap and relocate them, they either come back or take their single minded efforts to your neighbor. In some places THAT is against the law, and rightly so.

That's a good thought. I'll check into the legalities!

I am a big proponent of LPD - Layered Perimeter Defense. Fences, scent lines, dogs, all of these are your best starting point.

OH yeah. Got that part covered. Thinking now about the possibility of the electric fence.

That's when your earnestness will be tested and you will soon learn that it is either you or them.

"You or them" does NOT mean it is necessary to kill everything that gets in our way. That's why God gave us the big brains and the opposable thumbs.
wink.png

Thanks Kentucky! I have been doing some reading, and will be doing more. I may ask you some questions once I learn enough to ask intelligent ones!

Quote:
I most respectivly disagree based on my personal experience with law enforcement personel..

Most I know have firearms like carpenters have hammers, it's an APPROVED tool of the job, be it a combat league or qual shoot, if they hit enough black they are happy, and these guys are my buddys, it's only a job to them and they get a discount buying whats on the list. I've scored more 10's with my stock Sig 220 than 3 of them, together, have with my Bomar tricked Hi-Power, or their personal service weapons.

Pratice and passion equals knowlage, thats found at a club where people are passionate. Up here a badge and gun are a job with good benifits.

Here most boys in blue are glock and 1911 fans, that there tells me something, I paid a lot of money for a Glock 20 and 21,,, neither held a patch to my Smith 1006 and Sig P-220, for a 10mm or .45 and they are long gone,,the 1911 guys,,,
lol.png
they all get together and talk about who did what to what they allreay paid a bunch for,,, my Sig is perfect the way it came, this I learned thru buying and trying at my expense.

Like I said, most see it as a job here, personally I think if you trust your life to a gun everyday you'd be a more avid handgunner,,, not afraid of running a few down my Super RedHawk .454 Cassual or saying 75 and 100 yard plates are impossible with a 686.

The guy at the club most often spent a few 1000 finding what worked, not buying off a list.

Back
Top Bottom