speaking of guns....

Quote:
I've only got a neighbor on one side. I've already been over to talk to them twice, even though I haven't even moved in yet. They seem like nice enough people, and I've told them I may be bringing them eggs once I get settled -- but I don't particularly WANT to have them coming to my place. When I socialize, I go out to socialize -- clubs, volunteering, and so on. When I'm home, I don't really want to be bothered. That's one of the things about country living that really appeals to me!
smile.png

Last edited:
Check your area for a Concealed Weapons Class and call them and they'll point you in the right direction if not themselves as to someone to teach you how to handle a firearm.

One thing I'm going to interject here, God gave Deer Antlers, Skunks scent, Rabbits speed, squirrels claws, all to deter someone else from eating them. Theres nothing wrong with a gun in a house, we've got 14 or 15 I'd have to go count.

I would suggest a 22 magnum, it can be a rifle shell or a pistol, it can kill most anything short of a bear. Although not legal for deer hunting it has killed more than a few. Prolly the best all around rimfire cartridge.

non-lethal I can use rat shot in a 22 and it will not kill dogs or cats but will sure get their attention. Rat Shot looks like a 22 caliber shot gun shell.

Amazondoc:

Not intended to often, however IMHO as far as protection, "dogs" are much too difficult to control, they bite when they shouldn't and when they should there are too many ways for a criminal to render them useless.

For what its worth, any criminal will know you have a dog or dogs and where it or they are located. However the same criminal will not know how many or what kind of firearms you have and as the old saying goes, "you never hear the shot that ..."

For personal and/or home protection, I prefer a 9x19 Walther, actually I have a couple. However it should be noted that there are many other reliable semi-auto pistols which are much less expensive.

In summary, intelligence is gained as a result of "questions".

Kentucky

Quote:
And He gave humans BRAINS, not guns. We gave ourselves those.
wink.png

Quote:
I pretty much agree with you there. Any determined, well prepared criminal can get by a dog -- or, as in my case, dogs. Fortunately, most criminals are neither well-prepared nor determined.

For what its worth, any criminal will know you have a dog or dogs and where it or they are located. However the same criminal will not know how many or what kind of firearms you have and as the old saying goes, "you never hear the shot that ..."

That's one of the benefits of having dogs. The criminals KNOW the dogs are there, just as they know you have an alarm system when you put one of those signs on your front yard. I would much rather prevent an intrusion with dogs or mechanical alarms instead of having to deal with the bad guys after they get into the house.​

Kentucy, remember he is not familiar with guns,,, a pistol for the inexperienced is not good, best to file off the front sight so it doesn't hurt so bad when it's removed from the hind end.

I shot pin shoots and on a combat league for years, know how to use them, and have some awesome pistols... I'll still grab the shotgun for home defense.

Fortunately, most criminals are neither well-prepared nor determined.

Willing to bank on that? Things have changed a bit, out in the country. Might want to do a little research.
I would agree that dogs are a good first line of defense. I wouldn't give them more than that, unless you are going to diligently attack train them and reinforce that training on a periodic basis.

I asked my friend, Jay, about it once. He is a K-9 trainer, both law enforcement and civilian - those were his comments, not mine.

I personally think everyone should own at least three guns and know how to use them - regardless of other sentiments they may harbor about their place in this old world. If you never need to use them, so much the better.

How's your Latin?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." - - often mis-written as "si vis pacem, para bellum," based on a quotation from Roman military writer Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus .....

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Elderoo, I agree with most of your post. I still think that most criminals are neither determined nor well-prepared -- nor especially intelligent -- but there's no use in getting into a debate about the demographics of criminal society.
wink.png

And I completely agree with you about dogs being a "first line", not a last ditch. I train dogs in competitive obedience and I've had some exposure to schutzhund, but I have NO intention of "attack" training my dogs. They are not there to protect me, even though their presence does aid in my protection.

My thought right now is 12 or 20 gg shotgun, plus maybe a paintball gun if I can find one cheap enough. I can buy rubber shot plus some more serious loads, to satisfy my non-lethal goals while still preparing for more serious eventualities. But I won't make any real decisions until after I get some first-hand experience, hopefully through the gun club I contacted. We Shall See!

Oh, and nautical_bouy (you know that's really spelled buoy, right? unless maybe it's your name?) -- I'm a "she", not a "he".
smile.png

Woops, you went and edited your post while I was writing! I can't really agree with your opinion on everyone owning three guns, but I can appreciate the sentiment.

Last edited:
Dead set, eh? You get points for determination, that's for sure.

GO with the 12 ga, for all the reasons I've already mentioned. Don't look consider the 20 ga. until you have mastered the 12 bore. That's my 2 cents. Your gomna move to a farm an all that you can handle the 12 ga.

If you wanna play with paintball guns, well, it's your dime kiddo. It might be kinda fun, really. Im just sayin'....

Quote:
One thing I've never been accused of is being wishy-washy.
wink.png

GO with the 12 ga, for all the reasons I've already mentioned. Don't look consider the 20 ga. until you have mastered the 12 bore. That's my 2 cents. Your gomna move to a farm an all that you can handle the 12 ga.

You may be right. Once I started thinking about my shoulders, though, I got nervous about the recoil. I'll just have to try these out in real life to see.

If you wanna play with paintball guns, well, it's your dime kiddo. It might be kinda fun, really. Im just sayin'....

I like the idea of sending the roaming dog home with a little message for its mom.
wink.png
But if I get the rubber shot, I may not waste the money for it. We Shall See.

Thanks again for all your input!​

amazondoc get a .410 shotgun. smaller less recoil and just as deadly if needed with 00 buckshot in it. Can even get a cheap short single shot called a snake charmer.

http://www.verney-carron.us/pages_us/technical.htm
2modeles.gif

Quote:
One thing I've never been accused of is being wishy-washy.
wink.png

You may be right. Once I started thinking about my shoulders, though, I got nervous about the recoil. I'll just have to try these out in real life to see.

I like the idea of sending the roaming dog home with a little message for its mom.
wink.png
But if I get the rubber shot, I may not waste the money for it. We Shall See.

Thanks again for all your input!​

Back
Top Bottom