Special Needs Chick Need Help ASAP

There is a thread on here about someone raising 2 blind chicks, both are doing very well. Maybe do a search for the thread, I'm sure they will answer any questions you have. Nothing should have to die because it's blind. Chickens are not stupid, they can adapt with some help.
I saved my Tator Tot after a hawk ripped off her wing. Everyone said to let her go she would never make it. She's my favorite now. Had to keep her isolated while she healed and she has a nub where the wing was. She's now back in the coop. She's the smallest and the lowest on the pecking order but she lives a spoiled life. Disability shouldn't be a death sentence. In my opinion

There is a thread on here about someone raising 2 blind chicks, both are doing very well. Maybe do a search for the thread, I'm sure they will answer any questions you have. Nothing should have to die because it's blind. Chickens are not stupid, they can adapt with some help.
Thank you. I don't feel right culling it just because its blind. We have a completely blind horse she lives a full life and still barrel races. They are always people that feel blind animals don't have a full life, I just don't agree.
He's doing well. I'm feeding him chick mesh he pecks it from a spoon. I have him in with three other chicks all is well.

If it was me I would separate the chick and do all I could with helping it survive, but that's just me and I'm used to taking in animals with special needs.
I take in rescues all the time mostly mammals. I've figured out how to help the little guy and he's doing very well. I don't think something should have to die just because its blind.

I agree - just because something is struggling doesn't mean it shouldn't get a shot at life. I would separate the chick as it might get picked on or trampled by the others. Give it a small area so it doesn't have to wander far to get food. Make sure it has a heat lamp at the appropriate temp. Maybe put a stuffed animal in the brooder to keep it company. I heard about the idea of putting some form of texture on the floor that will lead the chick to the water and feed. This was used for a blinding gorilla. It may not help, but it's worth a shot. Every hour or so, help the chick walk over the textured padding that leads to the feed and water. Dip its beak in the water and food to make sure it eats/drinks. Doing this repeatedly should train the chick to learn that when it feels that texture, it's near feed/water. It will probably be hard for the chick to live outside one day, so you might need to be alright with an indoor chicken. Chicken diapers can prevent it from making a mess indoors. Good luck! You ca do this!

The difficulty here is that chickens aren't a very hearing-oriented animal. Horses, dogs, and cats have good hearing and can rotate their ears to listen for things, chicks can't do that. It's also going to be severely limited in its ability to socialize with other chickens, so you'll need to provide it with lots of social interaction yourself.

I agree - just because something is struggling doesn't mean it shouldn't get a shot at life. I would separate the chick as it might get picked on or trampled by the others. Give it a small area so it doesn't have to wander far to get food. Make sure it has a heat lamp at the appropriate temp. Maybe put a stuffed animal in the brooder to keep it company. I heard about the idea of putting some form of texture on the floor that will lead the chick to the water and feed. This was used for a blinding gorilla. It may not help, but it's worth a shot. Every hour or so, help the chick walk over the textured padding that leads to the feed and water. Dip its beak in the water and food to make sure it eats/drinks. Doing this repeatedly should train the chick to learn that when it feels that texture, it's near feed/water. It will probably be hard for the chick to live outside one day, so you might need to be alright with an indoor chicken. Chicken diapers can prevent it from making a mess indoors. Good luck! You ca do this!
Thank you. I've already been looking at chicken diapers.

The difficulty here is that chickens aren't a very hearing-oriented animal. Horses, dogs, and cats have good hearing and can rotate their ears to listen for things, chicks can't do that. It's also going to be severely limited in its ability to socialize with other chickens, so you'll need to provide it with lots of social interaction yourself.
I totally get that. I'll do what I have to to help him/her.

Thank you. I've already been looking at chicken diapers.
I'm sure with some care, this chick will turn out great! If you try the textured floor, let me know how it works out. I agree with the above poster, the chick will need lots of interaction from you or else it will get lonely. Let me know how this works out!

Back
Top Bottom