"special needs" chick?

backyardmenagerie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
Kansas
I posted this two days ago, and only got one response, so I'm re-posting because I'm still having a problem with this chick. Hope that is ok
hide.gif

I have a silkie chick that seems... slow. It hatched out Saturday morning. I have dipped it's beak into the water dish, but since then it doesn't seem to be drinking. I've watched it go over to the waterer a few times and dip it's beak down, then lift it's head up like it's taking a drinking, but is not dipping down all the way to the water level. It will also sit and watch the others eat, then try to eat the shavings a few inches from the feeder. It shakes it's head and spits it out, then watches the other chicks eat, then tries to eat the shavings... It's like it knows they're eating, and can't figure out that what they are eating is different from what is on the ground. I've tried dipping his beak into the food, but he still won't peck at it on his own. It looks like he's imitating normal behavior, without understanding it.
He also has fallen asleep standing up, several times, and doesn't wake up when his beak hits the ground. He just stands there, asleep, balancing on his face.
He's the most docile of the group, and doesn't seem to have a fear reaction. I'd consider this cute under normal circumstances, but I'm thinking it's another indicator of his mental capacity.
Any idea on what I can do for him? Or just wait, and hope he figures it out?

Since then I have tried hand feed the chick a little bit of feed mixed with warm water, and it will eat that. I've also given him water with an eye dropper. He's still not eat or drinking on his own, that I have observed,(it's like he can't figure out where it is unless I show him) and I don't want to have to do those things for him forever!

Try mashing up some yolk from a boiled egg and putting it on a paper towel. You could put the chick next to it on the kitchen floor to see if it pecks at it. I'm wondering if your chick is having trouble seeing.

Quote:
Ditto.

Also, I always peck/tap with my finger at the food a few times a day for 1-2 days, same thing with the water. Until all of them get it and react to others pecking at something and run over.

Falling asleep while standing up is a normal chick behavior. Did you get the electrolytes and vit mixture @ the feed store yet? Some breeds are just by nature more docile. They do learn by watching their brood mates but I would try to stop the little one from eating the shavings. Some people put down paper towels until the chick understands what the food thing is. Otherwise they will peck at and try to eat everything they see. I use pet bedding pellets. They are made from wood product mostly pine. Good luck

chicken on an IEP? If she isn't successful with her typically developing peers, she may need to be placed in a self contained classroom with other DD peers where she can receive specially designed instruction...
tongue.png

Too funny Rooneytune.
Glad the little one is getting learning the ropes. Beat of Luck.

I hope little chicky continues to do well and ends up being the "einstein" in your flock. Then you can embarass him by reciting all the "dumb" things he did when he was a baby chick. Hey, that's what parents are for - right??

Back
Top Bottom