Special Needs Chicks - THANKS TO Zahboo!

HotChix

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 14, 2008
Cameron, NC
I would like to personally thank Zahboo@BYC for donating her special needs Aracuna to Bunker Family Farms. She has a severely crossed beak but eats and drinks without a problem. She was introduced today to the flock. Oddball our BlackStar was laying and I exchanged an egg for "Sloth" (The name was given for the character from the Goonies. Sloth was a deformed individual but offered love and affection and protection to a young boy named Chunk) Chunk is a RIR crossbill (slightly crossed bill) pullet in our coop. She was offering her chick on craigslist and needed to find it a home or face culling but as I have learned an egg from a crossbill tastes just as good as an egg from a straight bill. I do not breed therefore I do not need to worry about genetic traits being passed on. Sloth has been running and scratching and even climbing on the storm shelter. She will come inside during the evenings but we are working on incorporating her into the flock.

Please if you have any special needs pullets and are facing culling please contact me and I will adopt your special needs pullets.
Here is a photo of Sloth
Untitled-1.jpg
<BR>
SlothLovesChunk.jpg

She's a wonderful EE! We trimmed her beak once, and she's doing good. Shouldn't need to be trimmed often. I wish I had a better pic than that one! I love the name, much better than her old one Achoo LOL

Awwww! I'm glad the little EE got a good home!!Zahboo was worried about her! I have a several special needs animals that I love dearly!! Including a blind horse and a deaf dog! They will live out their lives here and are made as comfortable as possible!! You live right down the road from me, if you have not been here yet, you should come visit! I promise you will love all the friendly critters!!
wink.png

Pretty chick! I have a crossbeak EE roo that my vet says she could have fixed if I had gotten him to her when it first started to cross. My vet is an amazing woman who treats anything, but particularly has affection for chickens (praise God!) and she's been very sweet in her treatment of my boy.

I'm getting his beak trimmed way back under anesthesia, as I didn't keep up on it and it's getting in the way of his eating properly (VERY severe- just out nearly 90 degrees to his upper beak). He's started to lose weight and I have to hand feed him a cookie batter consistency food three times daily now.

That all said, he's my favorite bird and will sit on my lap or be held by anyone for hours. He won't poo on us, and loves to be petted. He's gorgeous if you don't look at the beak.

Special needs is still special, right?

Quote:
I LOVE shopping in So. Pines. There is a killer sushi bar up there called "Sushi at the Pines". I felt like a fat rat after leaving there. I would love to come see your farm, and again likewise come see ours too!

Back
Top Bottom