Special Situation !!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Joey4880, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Joey4880

Joey4880 Out Of The Brooder

What is the best bedding for cleaning and comfort if coop is on concrete?

2. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I am not really sure what you are trying to accomplish, but we use SweetPDZ on our poop boards. This makes them very easy to clean up, I also sprinkle a little SweetPDZ on the floor. The chickens don't usually "go" on the floor, but when they do, it is easy to clean up with the SweetPDZ. Have you sealed the concrete? If so, I would think this system could work well. I also sometimes put some hay type stuff on the floor. It is some kind of horse feed. Smells great and I can sweep it out with a broom if necessary. Hope this helps. Good luck!

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I deep bed with shavings. My original coop is an old broken up concrete floor, with rubber stall mats on top, and several inches of shavings on top. When I clean out the coop, I spread permethrin powder on the floor under the bedding. Mary

4. Joey4880

Joey4880 Out Of The Brooder

whats the permethrin powder for?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

The permethrin helps prevent mites/lice. I bed with a thick layer of pine shavings as well. It stays nice and dry and it's easy to clean out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by