1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

speckled bobwhite hatch and started to die.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rita2paul, Dec 3, 2016.

1. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    I hatched some mexican speckled bobwhites and i managed to get 9 to hatch.
    within a week i started to lose some.
    i am now down to 3, i think i have found out what was killing them, i had un-medicated chick crumb 18% protein. it was not high enough. i found a lady on ebay selling her own which she makes up herself. she said it's made with quail eggs,seeds, and calcium plus vitamins. since i swapped the food over i have not lost anymore. i feel gutted that the other little one's didn't make it.
    i have raised quails before on the un-medicated chick crumb and never lost any, but these bobwhites are really hard little quail to raise. it's been a learning curb.

2. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    Can you share where you got your feed? I would love to switch because ours isn't great. I've been having to frequently supplement calcium.

3. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    hi i got it off a lady on Ebay. angelsmirror. i add it to the food i have and i can honestly say that i have seen such a difference in the baby quails since they have been eating this.

1 person likes this.
  4. Q QUAIL S

Q QUAIL S Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2016
    The quail need a lot more protein then 18% they grow so fast. I hope your quail do great!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by