Speckled Sussex 4 weeks or so is sleepy and at times keeps to herself

manderson426

Hatching
Jun 18, 2016
NJ
We just got 4 chicks between to 4-8 weeks , a rhode island red, a speckled Sussex, australorp, and salmon favarolle. The Sussex who is the youngest is the one that seems sleepy and at times is off by hersel while the other hang together. The Sussex is Eating,drinking and pooping but I wasn't too sure if we should be worried. We only had the chicks for a week from a reputable local breeder. Appreciate some feedback .

I would watch the youngest with lethargy, in case she has coccidiosis or is dehydrated. Give her some fluids with electrolytes and make sure she is eating. If she appears hunched or puffed up, is not eating, or has runny poops with mucus or blood, then I would treat her with Corid for coccidiosis. It is more common in groups of different aged chicks. Chicks who are not raised together from the beginning don't hang out together, so that may be why they are in separate groups. But a sick chick will separate itself and stay off from the group.

One of my RIR girls has is keeping to herself, which she and another one did since I brought her home several weeks ago as pullets. A censored hawk got two of them on day two of bringing them home. Could she have internal injuries caused by the hawk that maybe hurt her. She has no injuries that I can see outside Now this poor baby is laying on the ground and flies are all over her. Help!

One of my RIR girls has is keeping to herself, which she and another one did since I brought her home several weeks ago as pullets. A censored hawk got two of them on day two of bringing them home. Could she have internal injuries caused by the hawk that maybe hurt her. She has no injuries that I can see outside Now this poor baby is laying on the ground and flies are all over her. Help!
Get your chicken inside away from the flies right away. She may have poop or an injury that you have not found yet. Clean her off in a soapy or epsom salts warm bath. Add some betadine if there is an injury. Maggot infestation or flystrike is very dangerous with chickens. The maggots will burrow into a hole or injury, eventually killing them. Post pictures if need be. If you find maggots, use tweezers, and get each one off. Apply plain antibiotic ointment to any wounds when dry. Keep her away from flies.

Last edited:
the little chick is responding well to the electrolytes, more active and now hanging with her bigger sisters....but I will continue to keep an eye on her. (she is still eating and drinking normally)

Back
Top Bottom