Speckled Sussex appearance differences

Speckledqueen

Chirping
Apr 11, 2021
Uk
I'm not really worried about this, just thought it was interesting! I have two chicks which hatched from fertile Speckled Sussex eggs that I ordered via ebay and that came in the post (I'm in the UK).
The two chicks look quite different- one has bold stripes while the other is more subtle and more ginger. The striped one hatched a day before the other.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Maybe one isn't a speckled sussex 😅
20210418_121239.jpg
20210418_121226.jpg

Ordering eggs on Ebay can be iffy. The two brownish chicks may be SS, but the black one sure isn't. I'd just let them grow and evaluate when they are feathered out. Right now one thing to look at is leg color. Sussex should have white or pinkish white legs, with no yellow.

Ordering eggs on Ebay can be iffy. The two brownish chicks may be SS, but the black one sure isn't. I'd just let them grow and evaluate when they are feathered out. Right now one thing to look at is leg color. Sussex should have white or pinkish white legs, with no yellow.

They both have pinkish legs, so I think that's ok. I'm not surprised ebay can be iffy, but I struggled to find another option to get them in my area (particularly with UK lockdown restrictions) so I thought I'd give it a shot and get 6 to pop in the incubator with eggs from our flock- the black is from one of the flock eggs 😊

They both have pinkish legs, do I think that's ok. I'm not surprised ebay can be iffy, but I struggled to find another option to get them in my area (particularly with UK lockdown restrictions) so I thought I'd give it a shot and get 6 to pop in the incubator with eggs from our flock- the black is from one of the flock eggs 😊
Oh, okay. Then I would just see what develops. SS chicks can be variable in appearance.

Back
Top Bottom