Speckled Sussex Gender Guess 5-6 weeks

One last photo at 10 weeks. Thoughts?
IMG_1200.PNG

My guess would be pullet, but most breeds don’t start getting their second round of feathers until between 12 and 15 weeks. I do t see any pointed hackle or saddle feathers, and no sickle shaped tail feathers, but that doesn’t mean they’re not coming. You probably won’t be able to tell for several more weeks.

I agree, he looks like a cockerel.
Interesting to see his hackles and saddles coming in so quickly.
I feel I'm dense here, but for the life of me I can't see pointed saddle and hackle feathers coming in yet.
I don't doubt he is a boy, but could you point out what you are seeing?
(always trying to learn more, lol)

I agree, he looks like a cockerel.

I feel I'm dense here, but for the life of me I can't see pointed saddle and hackle feathers coming in yet.
I don't doubt he is a boy, but could you point out what you are seeing?
(always trying to learn more, lol)
So the first pic is this iridescent, "leakage". And on a Sussex, if nothing else, this would tell us everything we need to know. Especially its location and how it is in a patch like this. They aren't always pointy initially, but they usually will be longer than a pullets.

Second are these few little feathers that are falling off his rear end. Again, not much, and a hen will have some of these, but not a pullet. I won't a pullet wouldn't ever have these, but along with the other evidence, these are telling.

Attachments

• EAE0C52C-A6A5-4B71-8DDA-0B3A6320AF77.jpeg
    EAE0C52C-A6A5-4B71-8DDA-0B3A6320AF77.jpeg
    790.7 KB · Views: 2
  • F9AB4D3C-3C1D-4548-B7EC-A4A7DE3088CF.jpeg
    F9AB4D3C-3C1D-4548-B7EC-A4A7DE3088CF.jpeg
    670.6 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom