Hi everyone, little late to this thread but I found it because I’m questioning my 13 week old speckled Sussex. She has the largest comb out my 4 and it’s redder than the others (although the others are different breeds). She’s my favorite one!! And I can’t have roosters. So I hope I’m just panicking!
You can relax. You have some nice girls.

Ok, now im curious if this gender switch is whats happening to my 6 year old golden comet?
Her laying slowed to about 1-2 eggs per week. Then 2 feral cats killed 4 very young pullets in the flock. She laid 1 egg within a week after and no more since. She has randomly low crowed and moved from flock mother hen to flock protector. She acts just like a rooster now & another old hen moved into her old position. I havent noticed her trying to mate with the girls or growing roo feathering...yet.
She does not "squat" for me anymore, and she eats last now instead of first like before.
Is this what happened to your hen that switched to roo?

Hi everyone, little late to this thread but I found it because I’m questioning my 13 week old speckled Sussex. She has the largest comb out my 4 and it’s redder than the others (although the others are different breeds). She’s my favorite one!! And I can’t have roosters. So I hope I’m just panicking!
It looks like a pullet. I have two Speckled Sussex and they are both roosters (lucky me). At that age they had much bigger and redder combs and wattles.

Back
Top Bottom