Speckled sussex Hen or Roo???

Half-a-dozen

Songster
12 Years
May 26, 2007
NJ
Just very curious now after reading all of the most frequent Hen/roo gender ID posts as to what ya'll think........

To me......becoming very suspicious for a Roo....but this is only my second season raising chickies soooo

Got two Speckled sussex from feed store. They said they were both hens, but as you can see from the pics below they are developing at very different rates. Both are 6 weeks old, and the pictuire coloring is acurate this time...
hmm.png

Chick #1
morechickies4-16-0813.jpg

morechickies4-16-0815.jpg

morechickies4-16-0814.jpg

Chick #2
Newerandolderchicks4-4-088.jpg

Newerandolderchicks4-4-089.jpg

Thanks for your guesses.....I can't wait to find out
pop.gif

I would venture to guess the first one is a roo--my SS pullets are nine weeks and their comb is about that size and the wattles are barely there at all. I am not sure about the other one; but the tail looks more like my pullets' tails, whereas the first one sticks up straighter.

wow really?
do they usually sex speckled sussex? or are they one of the ones they cannot sex like the cochins?
we were so excited when we picked them up I forget if they told me specifically these two were suppose to be female or not.....Ooopsss
big_smile.png

I would say the first one is almost definitely a roo and I am leaning toward a pullet for the second one. The last pic made me laugh as my SS hens LOVE to sit on our waterer, I had to rig a deterrant as their poop was fouling the water within moments of me putting a fresh lot in! We enjoy them a lot!

Back
Top Bottom