Speckled Sussex Sexing Help

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
This is my first batch of this breed and I hatched 8 chicks. Two look totally different from the rest and are pullets for certain. I sold two I knew were cockerels, but a couple of the others are confusing me. I think they're cockerels because of several things: stocky bodies, short tails (although I did have some vampire chicks and the tails could have been plucked out-they concentrated on the SS), pinker combs than my two definite pullets and thicker legs. Still....one in particular has an almost whitish-pink comb, not the Pepto-Bismol pink of the others, and another one seems not very masculine. The first two pics are of the same bird and the last pic is another one:
DCP_7317.jpg

DCP_7375.jpg

DCP_7325.jpg

You would not believe how UGLY that first one was two or three weeks ago! An almost totally white face, white underside, white wings. I called it "the Troll", LOL, but I'd hold it and tell it, "You going to be the prettiest one of all" and by golly, it is getting so handsome now. I have had it pegged as a cockerel all this time, but now, I am not at all sure it's a boy.

Last edited:
Except for the really thick legs, I might have more hope for a pullet, but, heck, I have a cockerel with thinner legs, so who knows? Sure wish someone who had this breed could lend their knowledge to us here! Here's another pic of her/him
DCP_7411.jpg

Last edited:
Cyn, I pretty definite that the second is a Roo!!!! I should know after all I have Yancey to go by. My son just looked at your pictures and on the second and third noticed :Dthe green feathers on wing and tail. They kind of glint. The Roos have fantastic colors which is why I can't part with Yancey even though he's a pain in the neck!!! The first is a hen and they are so sweet and gentle. My Addy is my favorite chicken to date. She's such a character. Have fun with them, they really are enjoyable!
wink.png

Thank you, Peg. Interesting what you can see in the photos that your eye doesn't catch, isn't it? I noticed that glint of color when I looked at the picture, not when I looked at the actual bird. Guess I need to look for that as extra confirmation on the sex of these four. I hope that first one is a pullet-several people have said they thought so, too. She has outer toes that bend to the sides; I had a couple of SS in this bunch with a similar issue-not the other four breeds in the bator, just the SS. Could be a genetic thing with one of the hens in the flock of the person where I got the hatching eggs. I can tell you this baby has no problems getting around and escaping me, LOL. Once caught, she's sweet and getting prettier every day.

they all look like roos to me, i think if you just look for the same things in the light sussex you will find they look like roos

I have about decided that the one in question was just a slow-developing cockerel. He has very thick legs and that squat body of the other boys, even if the comb looks a bit "girly", LOL. Thanks for the input.

Did the one in question turn out to be a roo? It is hard to find people who really know this breed. I have several in question and did a search. Updating this would be most definitely helpful.

Back
Top Bottom