Speckled Sussex

SnazzyJazzy

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2015
This is a rooster, he just looks weird. I can't put my finger on it. Bright eyes, no discharge. He will randomly open his mouth like he's choking, but no sound comes out. He doesn't act lethargic(healthy appetite, moves around,drinks normally), but very dazed. He will walk right up to me and if I push him away he just goes to where I stop pushing and wanders away.this is of him, three hens with him that are fine. Their combs are bigger than his. Is he just poorly put togethe or something wrong?

I should add, I don't socialize with them. My marans are very friendly but it's definitely different than this guy!

Even though no one replied to this, I wanted to expand a bit. I went and watched him shake his head on one foot and twist his head around funny. It looked like he had a tumor on his neck so I caught him and felt around, it felt normal, the crop felt big and watery. I wanted to see if he had a longer neck and he was holding it down or if it was indeed just short. I hung him upside to get him to stretch out, and he started just vomiting, it smelled awful and was a brownish clear. We would take breaks (I held him on his side), but this went on for ten minutes. Vomit, not, then again. When I put him down his chest appeared smaller and the crop was definitely smaller. Luckily, I've treated this before, but never emptied the crop (and this time was an accident to begin with), so the other died. But I will be doing what I did before and hoping for better luck this time now that I've emptied it.

Last edited:
Yes! I just wanted to expand in case someone else came later! Thank you for posting the thread, it has good info for anyone else in this position. Mr. Sussex is already feeling better and none too pleased that he's in solitary with only water for the night
1f602.png
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom