Serious eye infection, lethargic

Sep 5, 2023
I first noticed my Barred Rock guy had sagging, inflamed eyes about three days ago. I immediately placed an order on Amazon for Terramycin. His eyes were in the same shape the following day. Other than the inflamed eyes, he had no other visible symptoms. However, things changed overnight from day one to day three. I found my guy perched on his food bucket with his head down. His eyes were swollen shut. Yellow discharge crusted around one eye. He was lethargic and appeared as though maybe the other roos in the coop beat up on him. I couldn't find any wounds anywhere on his body.

There is no wheezing, coughing, sneezing, or gargling. No other of my 18 chickens are showing any signs or symptoms like this guy.

I have tried dabbing his eyes with cotton balls dipped in really warm water. 3ml of Poultry cell 2xs a day. Neosporin (without pain reliever) around the outer parts of his eyes. Vetrx dabbed on his waddle and under his wings. I moved him inside to a dark, cool room in the house. I pushed as much electrolyte water into a syringe as I could force him to take. By the end of the day, he could open his eyes for several minutes. He even crowed quite a few times and ate a bit of raspberries my kids gave him. This morning is a completely different story. His eyes are swollen more than before. I don't think he has pooed since yesterday. He's not interested in food or water at all. I've continued to dab his eyes with warm water, Neosporin, and forced electrolight water in a syringe. I've continued to isolate him indoors, in a crate.
PXL_20230904_145927221.jpg
PXL_20230904_211132125.jpg
PXL_20230904_145936630.jpg

What on earth can I do for this guy?! He's about five months old. He is such a sweet guy. I don't know if he got into anything while free-ranging. The Terramycin just arrived in the mail today. The pictures below are of Monday morning and Monday afternoon when he could open his eyes briefly.

Attachments

• PXL_20230904_211132125.jpg
    PXL_20230904_211132125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Do I see pus in the swelling under his right eye? I did a search for "removing pus from chicken's eye" and found you tube videos and also several links back to that topic here on BYC. If it is pus, one of those might help you.

Have you looked in his mouth to see if there is anything abnormal?

@azygous, any suggestions?

That eye needs the pus removed before you can start to treat with the Terramycin. Watch this video and see how easy it is to do. After removing the pus, rinse thoroughly with saline eye wash and then treat twice a day with the Terramycin.

Back
Top Bottom