Speckled Sussex

14 weeks

The boys are getting darker, shedding the white feathers.
IMG_20230607_171707447~2.jpg

IMG_20230606_184200214.jpg

IMG_20230606_182517625~2.jpg

The girls, too. This is the "blond" chick.
IMG_20230601_181532854.jpg

Anything with Partridge like a Welsummer or Cochin, Brown Leghorns, Silver or Gold Duckwing, etc have that coloration in males.

It's also not a Speckled Sussex. Sussex should have white legs, not yellow. And that bird isn't Spangled like a Sussex. It looks like a Welsummer cockerel to me.

I was looking for other similar threads to see pics of the SS at that age. There was one lady who's SS had some white on the chest and she was looking at that as a sign that it was a roo. IDK, it's all new to me!
In general, Speckled Sussex cockerels have a ton of white all over them when compared to pullets, IMO.

So the consensus is that this is not a pullet and is also not a Speckled Sussex? 😐

I really want to know what was going on when they packed these ones up. My first order was perfect. Except one was out of stock and one died. Since I was short, I placed an order for 3 more. 1 of which appears to be a cockerel, 1 which I'm almost positive is the wrong breed and 1 that is a cockerel AND the wrong breed....Oh my.
I will admit this is my first time and I know nothing but my order was wrong as well :( I ended up with 4/15 roosters. 3 are the wrong breed LOL anyways given what has been going on and a lot more people are backyard chickening maybe they are trying to push maximum orders and aren’t fully checking vents correctly or something. Idk I’m sorry good luck !!

By the standard, not a SS with yellow legs.

Who did you buy from?

I didn't want to go SR again, and there's no source for sexed Speckled Sussex bantams, so I went with Dominiques. I ordered 5 females, received 6 chicks, and 2 are apparently males. So I have two more cockerels to get rid of.
:he
One of the other chicks I got from them is supposed to be a Cuckoo Marans, which is also supposed to have white legs. It is absolutely twinsies with my barred rock, legs and all. They both have yellow legs with black striping on them

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom