Spices for chickens

vernandang

Chirping
Apr 28, 2022
I have seen a post on Facebook (it's a sponsored ad) saying that you should add oregano, sage, ginger and garlic to your chicken feed.

So, I am NOT buying a book that doesn't really give me a lot of info on what is in it (I'm cheap)

I've also seen people saying that paprika and cayenne dried for yoke color.

Do any of you give your chickens dried herbs like this?

I have seen a post on Facebook (it's a sponsored ad) saying that you should add oregano, sage, ginger and garlic to your chicken feed.

So, I am NOT buying a book that doesn't really give me a lot of info on what is in it (I'm cheap)

I do! I think it supplies very important antioxidants, amino acids, omega 3s etc. They're also value immune boosters.
I sell numerous herbal blends for chickens and other animals on my Etsy shop. I use them for my birds and do think they’re very beneficial.

Not sure why add herbs to the feed? Probiotic? Taste? Visual appeal?

That aside, I’ve given a few things to see if the yolk color improved. Do not use turmeric- bc when I did that, the eggs tasted off for a couple of days. But, I’ve used cheap paprika and crushed pepper. And, yes, those two positively impacted the yolk color.

Still, that’s an extra step that I don’t typically take. Instead, I grow marigolds in my garden and every day or two take the birds a small bucketful of the blooms. I do twist them out of the bloom base bc the hens gobble up the petals better. This also increases yolk color and my garden looks pretty. Sone feeds add marigold ingredients to help boost yolk color.

The only other reason I’ve seen people use herbs is more for their own benefit-they like the smell! Some people scatter aromatic dried herbs into the coop or nest boxes. Just be aware chickens have sensitive respiration systems, so certain aromatics can cause issues.

My chickens like dill, not marjoram or rosemary. Garlic and oregano are so so. Basil usually. I give herbs seasonally when I have extra but otherwise no. They are all available and given fresh in Spring when they’d benefit the crew the most as the wild birds come around for the season. I don’t give them dried herbs at all.

I’ve been tossing in fresh greens from around my yard in the heat to give extra vitamins and minerals. Mine love lemongrass and it is growing like crazy right now. I’ve heard that has extra vitamin C.

Back
Top Bottom