Spitzhaubens

Meanwhile, the hobbled Spitz chick, which we are calling Hoblet, is still isolated. I removed the vetwrap this morning and saw the leg was still splayed out some, tho it could stand. I quickly re-wrapped it. As you can see, the foot turns out to the side-- I hope this will be okay. I don't know how to make it go forward. If it can stand, isn't that okay?
This chick stands in front of the mirror, talking to its reflection, listening to the radio. It seems quite content. I am concerned about its social development, but oh well.
Hoblet, 5-11.jpg
Edit to add: I decided to put Hoblet in with the rest of the chicks. It was a non event for them, no one pecked at the hobble or the chick. The vetwrap is black, chosen intentionally to be inconspicuous. Hoblet was upset and stood there loudly peeping. So I brought the radio and the mirror. That calmed her down. She seems to be integrating fine now. At 4 1/2 days old, having spent the first 4 days isolated, this is an important step.
Hoblet, 5-11 in brooder.jpg

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the hobbled Spitz chick, which we are calling Hoblet, is still isolated. I removed the vetwrap this morning and saw the leg was still splayed out some, tho it could stand. I quickly re-wrapped it. As you can see, the foot turns out to the side-- I hope this will be okay. I don't know how to make it go forward. If it can stand, isn't that okay?
This chick stands in front of the mirror, talking to its reflection, listening to the radio. It seems quite content. I am concerned about its social development, but oh well.
View attachment 2133868
Edit to add: I decided to put Hoblet in with the rest of the chicks. It was a non event for them, no one pecked at the hobble or the chick. The vetwrap is black, chosen intentionally to be inconspicuous. Hoblet was upset and stood there loudly peeping. So I brought the radio and the mirror. That calmed her down. She seems to be integrating fine now. At 4 1/2 days old, having spent the first 4 days isolated, this is an important step.
View attachment 2134455
How’s the chick now?

How’s the chick now?
well, she can stand and she can walk, run, hop, and fly, but she's different. She has a crooked foot, which maybe could have been straightened w some sort of severe traction, but I didn't want to do that to her, and wasn't even sure how. So she's different. But seemingly content.
I'm pretty sure it's a female, comparing her and the others to past batches of Spitzes.

7 elders.jpg

These are the chicks in the brooder. 4 are Spitzhauben, 4 are Sprights.
outside.jpg
come out!  5-17.jpg

Moonshine has 7 chicks, only one is a Spitzhauben. The rest are spunky little Sprights, and they don't listen to Mama. She couldn't get them to come out. Finally when they came out, she couldn't get them to come in, or stay together. They do as they please. With the chicks in the brooder, the Sprights fly out the door when I open it. @faraday predicted they would have attitude. Meanwhile, the Spitzhaubens are mellow in comparison....

Hi I’m new here but not new to chickens. I have 15 Silver Spangled Spitzhauben chicks coming from Cackle in July, and I hope to order some from Greenfire Farms as well. I’m so excited I just had to tell someone that would understand lol 😂
Welcome to BYC and to the Spitzhauben thread! I look forward to seeing your chicks!
I got my first Spitzes from Cackle, we are close enuf to drive and pick them up.
Imagine 15 of them! You're going to love them!
Sue

Welcome to BYC and to the Spitzhauben thread! I look forward to seeing your chicks!
I got my first Spitzes from Cackle, we are close enuf to drive and pick them up.
Imagine 15 of them! You're going to love them!
Sue

15 made sense to avoid the small order fee but now I’m wondering if 15 is too many lol 😂 can’t wait to show the hubby 🤭

Back
Top Bottom