Spitzhaubens

Pics
I can only speak to the cackle hatchery Spitzhaubens but I adore mine. They are in a flock of Dominiques, easter eggers, Black Copper Marans', White New Jersey Giant, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandotte, and a Bourbon Red Turkey. I bought 10 and now only have a pair left. They are about 6 months old. They get along with all my chickens. They are neither picked on or bossy. In fact the little cockerel is the only chicken that the turkey allows to roost next to him. The Spitz are great flyers and are actually very friendly. I was given the impression that they would be flighty. The cockerel is my favorite chicken. I named him Stitch because he had a navel hernia that I had to put a stitch in when he was only 3 days old. Read about it here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/912348/successful-surgery-on-chick-umbilical-hernia#post_13879657 and read about the cast I had to put on him later here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-a-board-and-now-drags-its-leg#post_14037612
He is a little survivor. He talks to me every time I come out and is constantly interested in what I am doing. The pullet it less curious but is easy to handle and holds her own against larger chickens. I did have one mean cockerel in the bunch and he was only mean in that he would peck me when I picked him up. He was sold and I didn't have any trouble out of the others. I can't speak to their protecting ability as mine still hasn't even crowed but they are easy to get along with. Here is the pair I kept

The cockerel is on the left. He is smaller than the pullet and I can only tell that he is a boy because of his noises. He peeps while she clucks. He was always considerably less marked than all the others and this has continued to be the case. He does not have nearly the spangles that the pullet has. Another thing about cackle, the type varies considerably. I only had three that I would have considered breeding towards SOP and one was the mean cockerel and the other two are the ones I kept. Their crests were the main difference/fault although several were far too dark with spangles that bled together heavily. Sorry I don't have a better picture handy

Last edited:
To me it looks like you have 2 pullets there. A male would be significantly more developed by 6 months old. This is my male when he was about 5-6months old.

It is possible. I'm not certain though because even the one I think is a pullet is not nearly as developed as the hen in your picture. Neither of mine have red wattles starting yet. It's very possible that they are slow maturing because they free range for most of their food.

The
It is possible. I'm not certain though because even the one I think is a pullet is not nearly as developed as the hen in your picture. Neither of mine have red wattles starting yet. It's very possible that they are slow maturing because they free range for most of their food.
pullet in my picture is the same age as the cockerel, they were 5-6 months old, they also free ranged daily for most if their feed. Mine are from a breeder not hatchery, maybe that is the difference. I still think you have 2 pullets :)

I can only speak to the cackle hatchery Spitzhaubens but I adore mine. They are in a flock of Dominiques, easter eggers, Black Copper Marans', White New Jersey Giant, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandotte, and a Bourbon Red Turkey. I bought 10 and now only have a pair left. They are about 6 months old. They get along with all my chickens. They are neither picked on or bossy. In fact the little cockerel is the only chicken that the turkey allows to roost next to him. The Spitz are great flyers and are actually very friendly. I was given the impression that they would be flighty. The cockerel is my favorite chicken. I named him Stitch because he had a navel hernia that I had to put a stitch in when he was only 3 days old. Read about it here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/912348/successful-surgery-on-chick-umbilical-hernia#post_13879657 and read about the cast I had to put on him later here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-a-board-and-now-drags-its-leg#post_14037612
He is a little survivor. He talks to me every time I come out and is constantly interested in what I am doing. The pullet it less curious but is easy to handle and holds her own against larger chickens. I did have one mean cockerel in the bunch and he was only mean in that he would peck me when I picked him up. He was sold and I didn't have any trouble out of the others. I can't speak to their protecting ability as mine still hasn't even crowed but they are easy to get along with. Here is the pair I kept

The cockerel is on the left. He is smaller than the pullet and I can only tell that he is a boy because of his noises. He peeps while she clucks. He was always considerably less marked than all the others and this has continued to be the case. He does not have nearly the spangles that the pullet has. Another thing about cackle, the type varies considerably. I only had three that I would have considered breeding towards SOP and one was the mean cockerel and the other two are the ones I kept. Their crests were the main difference/fault although several were far too dark with spangles that bled together heavily. Sorry I don't have a better picture handy

I hope I can order a Spizhauben cockerel from ideal for my 9 LF hens. This helps A LOT!!!!! I was having trouble finding a breed that tends to have good roosters. Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom