Spitzhaubens

1 (nickname Baby). Recovered Failure to thrive
Possible female …. But could just be less mature because of growth delay
2F1C0035-5136-41E6-8B45-C1DACFE54339.jpeg 6ABA9FF8-5355-49AB-98E8-DDC76975A770.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow. Your boys are maturing fast. My 7 week olds don’t have any signs. Normally I can’t guess until around 8 weeks and feel more confident at 10-12 weeks
Haha, I was also quite surprised at how fast these guys have been maturing as well! I was expecting to have to wait months to tell pullets from cockerels! Most of my other chicks in my batch of 9 has small horn nubs which has me worried for them all being cockerels as I can’t keep them all. My one little gold spangled chick and one of my chamois has no signs of horn nubs so I am hoping for at least two decently crested and body type pullets :fl

Photos of my most promising colored and crested chick, pink band! I would have gotten better photos but she isn’t a huge fan of me haha.
IMG_0594.jpeg
IMG_0598.jpeg
IMG_0590.jpeg
IMG_0613.jpeg

The photo above shows her spangling on her back at a little less than 4 weeks old! I am quite excited to see how she fills out over the next few months.

Update on a few of my chicks! I have two confirmed cockerels (bright red combs and wattles) and the rest for now seem to be pullets. The two confirmed cockerels fight each other a lot. I may end up selling one as there is a lot of tension in the brooder because of them.
My singular gold spangled chick seems to be getting wattles. I am really hoping for it to be a pullet, it is my favorite little one haha.
A few do have larger crests than others, so I am probably not going to keep them. I really do love watching their large crests bounce around while pecking at things though! They are so comical and I just love watching them.

Some photos from this last week 🥰
IMG_1709.jpeg
IMG_1475.jpeg
IMG_1742.jpeg
IMG_1453.jpeg
IMG_1750.jpeg
IMG_1715.jpeg
IMG_1566.jpeg

Update on a few of my chicks! I have two confirmed cockerels (bright red combs and wattles) and the rest for now seem to be pullets. The two confirmed cockerels fight each other a lot. I may end up selling one as there is a lot of tension in the brooder because of them.
My singular gold spangled chick seems to be getting wattles. I am really hoping for it to be a pullet, it is my favorite little one haha.
A few do have larger crests than others, so I am probably not going to keep them. I really do love watching their large crests bounce around while pecking at things though! They are so comical and I just love watching them.

Some photos from this last week 🥰
View attachment 3851712View attachment 3851715View attachment 3851716View attachment 3851717View attachment 3851718View attachment 3851720View attachment 3851722
I think your gold one is female and also has the best crest of any pictured.

I think your gold one is female and also has the best crest of any pictured.
Thank you for the reassurance haha! Her crest is pretty nice looking and tight and I am glad she looks good as she is my only gold chick. Also, does this chamois’s crest look good as well? I am trying to see which chicks to keep and maybe breed if space and time allows. His spangles so far lean more to lacing but we shall see how he fills out
IMG_1478.jpeg

Crest is pointing mostly straight up. Time will see how much up or more forward it will go.

But I can see the lacing. That right there would be a no go for me. I personally have worked hard to have spitzies that have better spangling. My first spitz while proper crested, was extremely dark in the chest. I received a better spangled chicks from cackle and used my proper crested one and now my spangling is better. Crests are hit and miss still.

Back
Top Bottom