Spitzhaubens

Pics
LOL, I like to visit the family I have there, but could not live there long term. I Lived on the Coast of NC for a long time. We had to move to TX for work. Thats where i got into the chickens. I do often bring chickens East when I travel home to people

This is my second crested silver spangled appenzeller spitzhauben. (I LOVE saying that!! Lol). She's about 4ish months in this pic. Just like the bantam one I had, she is my favorite! These three are the "new girls" to the flock, i have 3 more that are a hear older. But there are definitely some quirks that make the spithaubens so endearing!! One, they are extremely socially savvy when navigating the other chickens so they naturally fall a little higher on the hierarchy almost by default. They're also the quickest to forage and swift in the treat chase! Lol. Pretty streetsmart when it comes to survival. So, easygoing but pretty affectionate and trusting with me. When I go to pick Fancy Pants up, she just kinda goes, "oh, hey" and doesn't fret.
The only con is that these sptzhaubens drive me crazy!!!! They love to roost in trees! Even by their lonesome! So last night, I couldn't find her anywhere. And there aren't trees around their yard except for a very tall, like 1/3 taller than a one story house kiwi tree that hangs into our yard from the neighbors. And there she was, staring down at me two thirds of the way up! And even then, she was looking down at me all, "hey. What's up?"

Anyhoos, they're, beautiful, smart and delightful. Very unique in positive ways! But I swear, this one's going to give me some grey hairs. The tree thing is making me wonder if that's why they're so rare. Lol. Definitely dangerous! And now I have to figure out how to build a tree for her! ;)

Anyways, here she is in action at 4 months old with her posse, "the new girls". They are a very beautiful bunch!! :)

I have

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom