Spitzhaubens

Pics
Hello all...I 3 spitzhaubens about 3 months ago and am new to the breed so I have got to educate myself now that they are nearing breeding age. I really like them especially the fact that they seem fairly docile. Though they eat like little pigs. I have a gold spangled and what I think is 2 chamois. I will try to get some pics tomorrow and post. I am thinking they are all pullets as they are about 5 months old and don't really look like they are developing much in the way of waddles.
So...now...a few questions. How do they do in the cold weather? I live in East TN and our winters are pretty mild. I think the coldest we had last year was app. in the high 20s and a couple times the wind chill got down into the teens. I always put tarps and other covers on my runs. If I have to I can put them in with some of the other breeds if they need warmer temps than that.
Are there any problems in hatching or breeding. I am really excited about these guys. A friend had gotten them from Greenfire and did not like them and ask if I wanted them. I had wanted some for a long time so of course I said YES!
Could someone post a couple nice pics of a roo so I can compare and make sure I have all pullets.
OH,,,,,I do have a couple pics...

Last edited:
They are hens...my roo chicks show the spiked comb early as it sits high in front

Mine lay 4-6 eggs a week but I incubate all. About 70 from 2 weeks to three months all off three hens plus incubation problems...me not the birds ..OE I would have way more!

Last edited:
Let my humidity get high.

Drowned a few.
It took me a while when I first started to tweek things. I incubate in a hovabator at 45-50% H and 100 temp then I don't LD til the day before they are suppose to hatch. I lower the temp to around 97-98 cause the chicks are creating their own heat and humidity around 60. So far that has worked well. Believe me ...I have had some horrible hatches in the past...and some expensive losses as a result. Hope this helps.

Hey TNBarnQueen! I have spitzhaubens ranging from 4 months to 7 months from GFF. I have a Chamois trio, a Gold pair, a white trio, a pair of silver, and one black roo. I was on the ET thread so we can learn about how they do in East TN together. We had decided to get rid of ours but, after they grew a bit we fell in love and couldn't let them go. Very sweet birds also. Here is a pic of my chamois boy. I had taken it at night on my phone so its not great but, he is still beautiful!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom