Spitzhaubens

Pics
@Alaskan where do you sell them?
:lau

Just locally. I don't ship. wanna drive to Homer Alaska and pick up a few?

I really like that Chamois Spitz!
:love

I'm guessing they're pretty rare. I see mostly the silver spangled for sale - if I ever do see them for sale.

I do too! They are an excellent color as well as the best personality. If I had to chunk all of my breeds and keep only one... it would be the Chamois Spitz. If I could keep only 2, it would be the chamois Spitz and the Bantam Wheaten Ameraucana, 3rd would be my Dominique, then 4th my Leghorns.

Just locally. I don't ship. wanna drive to Homer Alaska and pick up a few?
Ha, no, I was just thinking about the market for Spitzhaubens...your town must have a lot of them! I went to the Joplin MO poultry swap, where I sold my #2 cockerel (Fritz) yesterday, and there is a fascinatingly diverse group of people there but none of them that I interacted with had ever heard of Spitzhaubens. I felt lucky to sell him. I don't think I want to bring more chickens into the world except as replacements for my own flock.
Do you have poultry swaps there? Are there a lot of chicken people in Alaska?

Last edited:
I am the only one in Alaska with Chamois Spitzhaubens... that I know of.

There are poultry swaps I think in Anchorage and Fairbanks... but nothing near me. (Anchorage is 5 to 7 hours away.. Fairbanks crazy farther)

couple more Chamois Spitz pictures.

20180604_145455-1.jpg
20180604_145458-1.jpg

871C85FB-E732-4E7D-A086-EC7E80DD8761.jpeg

said goodbye to my remaining spitz, thus ending my saga of the spitzhaubens. perhaps someday there will be more...

between all the cockerels and losing my favorite hen, i’m ending up with not too many more chickens than i had pre-chicks.

037AE00F-50BC-4D64-84B0-4162AD0A652B.jpeg
603AE632-1C0A-4860-98E8-C767229EC770.jpeg
@SueT i started two years ago with a group of 5 EEs and a red sex link - obtained from a friend who had to get rid of her flock due to zoning restrictions. i lost the sex link last month, and of the 6 chicks i got in march, i have an amber link pullet, an asian black pullet, and fatty, the barred chicken, who i still don’t know the breed or sex of. i’ve been posting my jersey giant cockerel from that batch of chicks everywhere. in the hopes someone will want him.

View attachment 1417422 View attachment 1417423 @SueT i started two years ago with a group of 5 EEs and a red sex link - obtained from a friend who had to get rid of her flock due to zoning restrictions. i lost the sex link last month, and of the 6 chicks i got in march, i have an amber link pullet, an asian black pullet, and fatty, the barred chicken, who i still don’t know the breed or sex of. i’ve been posting my jersey giant cockerel from that batch of chicks everywhere. in the hopes someone will want him.
the barred hen looks like a Dominique to me.

News Flash! Pullet Greta was sitting on a nest! I don't know if we'll get an egg today, but we're close!
They are 20 weeks. Here's a pic of her and then one of the 3 of them this week. She's a strange one. If she sees me she follows me. Once in a while, I have given her sunflower seeds. Maybe once every 2 weeks, to get them to come. I thought if I stopped, she'd stop being underfoot, but she's not forgetting about it or she's just sticking to me like glue for some other reason. Also she will unexpectedly fly up onto my shoulder, arm or head. I did not train her to do this, and it sometimes scratches my skin, so I don't like it. I never held any of them as chicks, and so am surprised at this behavior. Anyway, she was on a nest, but when she saw me, she immediately got out and came to me. So I left.
The other pullet doesn't do any of this, and of course, I don't allow Flugel to get near me. Which he wants to do if Greta is with me. I make him keep his distance. If I'm not there, she sticks with him. So I can see why this might bother him when she leaves him and hangs out w me. They don't get to free range every day....
greta june 4 (3 of 1).jpg

Trio2 June8 (3 of 1).jpg

Attachments

• trio 6-8  (3 of 1).jpg
    trio 6-8 (3 of 1).jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom