Spitzhaubens

Pics
I took a pic of Metal's nose. It's definitely not like my polish. I don't know what to think now, because I wouldn't consider his nose to be distinct, at least compared to my polish that have these huge ceres

It's a very cute chick, but looks nothing like my Spitz. They have very unique beaks. As you said, the "ceres" are raised. (Ceres = My new word for the day. I always just called it the nose or nares. But, nares are the holes not the tissue around it)

More digging, solved the mystery I think :) there is a chance that the Spitzhauben hens (found out one was blue and one was white) may have seen an ameraucana roo. No mating was ever witnessed but slim chance there and given this little guy's nose... I'm thinking what I have is a Spitzhauben/Ameraucana cross. Now I want more!

Last edited:

I had to go back & look at pics of some Polish chicks we hatched a few years ago. We hatched them for someone else, but I couldn't resist taking some pics of my "80's hair band" before they left us.

They finally held still long enough for decent pictures - the roo and two hens I got from phodora buds - the other hen I have is in the coop hiding .... of course.

Here's a pic of 2 silver spitz chicks. The one on right looks like all the others, but the one on the left has completely white wings. Has anyone ever seen that before? They all looked the same at hatch & came from the same flock. Does their coloration change often before they lay?

Back
Top Bottom