Spitzhaubens

Pics
@MonicaWA
Glad you got at least ONE female. I like her crest. (compact / not bushy)
Are you able to keep some of your male spitzes? If you're allowed, I highly recommend keeping one.

I kind of miss "Drumstcks." He was sweet & always the first to greet me each morning. (Of course that's b/c he'd fly over the fence to meet me by the back door. LOL) At least he went to a breeder & not dinner.

I have three Appenzeller roos. I am planning on keeping Zelly for sure. He is a funny guy and very attached to me.

Hi there,
I need to pick someone's brain about my lovely Appenzeller...

I have four of these beautiful hens, and have always admired their wacky hair. However one of them (Dora- pictured centre) has, since molting, grown back a rather long and lopsided hairstyle which i fear may be obstructing her sight. On my
other hens they all point upwards. I have observed her walking stooped as if she is struggling with the weight of it- I imagine it is a heavy load when wet on her tiny head.
I have never had cause to trim feathers before and am seeking advice as to 1) if this is safe and 2) best ways to keep her calm whilst doing it.

Any other solutions most welcome.
Thanks ever so much
Mia
appenzeller 1.JPG
appenzeller 2.JPG
appenzeller 3.JPG

Have you tried using a small rubber band at the base? Maybe that would make it stand upright. I've heard of people with Polish hens doing that.

Tip: I also think this may be a 2 person job if your girl is not used to being handled. (One to hold & one to do the hairstyle.)

If the rubber band doesn't work, you can always try gently trimming, but I have no experience with that.

For some reason, my "Spitzie" was taken over by my son. He changed her name to Poof Poof. The good news is that she's now pretty friendly & likes to be around people. He wants to teach her how to come on command and fly up onto his arm. He even made a little progress. The other good news is that this young pullet is laying pretty well.
Simon & PoofPoof2.jpg

To all my flock friends:
Happy Valentine's Day!

DS & I made many, many of these for all his classmates & teachers.
Can you see the dyed Spitz feathers?
img_7284-jpg.1264576

I went to Cackle on 2-6 and got 5 Spitzhauben chicks. Just found this thread! What a friendly inquisitive breed they are. I am really enjoying my polka dot babies.....
fritz and flugel 2-22 (3 of 1).jpg fritzi 2-22b (3 of 1).jpg 2 fuzzies 2-23 (3 of 1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom