Spitzhaubens

So glad to see all the above recent posts and pics!
I let my flock out yesterday into this back area of the run that had been closed off all winter to regrow. There was absolutely nothing at all growing by last fall, but now it’s full of chickweed and henbit. They can’t stay out there everyday or it will be denuded again.
View attachment 3066431
I have 2 Spitz roosters now. The solo chick that hatched last May seems to get along with his dad, and with us humans, so he gets to stay.
This is Beldar, who must be 3 yrs old now. His father was aggressive to humans but he is a gentleman, as seems to be the son so far. I can move amongst the flock without worry about them.
View attachment 3066429
I have 3 Spitz hens, this is Nadine, age 2. They all have a lot of black.
View attachment 3066430
I got the first Spitzhaubens at Cackle. I am not hatching out any chicks this year. Bird flu is in our area and the swaps are closed. I don’t want any more roosters, and we have 10 hens all together, which lay more eggs than we can eat.
I really love my ‘Spright’ hens, a cross between Spitz and Sebright. I have 5 of them and they all look so much alike that I put leg bands of them. They are almost as big as the Spitzhaubens and they lay a lot of eggs, which are smaller than the huge Spitz eggs. 2 of the Sprights go broody a lot like their Sebright mom, the other 3 are like the Spitzes and do not. They are really sociable and smart. I didn’t keep any of the boys.
View attachment 3066440
do you have any close up pics of their faces? Interested in seeing the combs on the Sprights look like.

Since this thread has been re-activated, I just wanted to say how excited I am. I'm currently waiting on some black pullets. And praying that it doesn't take forever for the birds to "make" the right color since only roughly 25% are black, and some could (will likely) be males! LOL

Back
Top Bottom