Splash/ Blue Silkie Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkieChickenLover336, Mar 24, 2011.

1. jd08

jd08 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Silkietime very nice splash roosters!!! Do you have any splash hens or pullets you might be willing to sell?

2. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Could somebody explain what a vaulted head is?

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A vaulted skull is also called a cerebral hernia. At hatching the skull is not closed on top, and the brain and other soft tissue form a large knob atop the head, but under the skin. In some cases the skull eventually grows together over the knob. In other cases it remains open.

Some say that crests grow larger on birds with the vaults; others say it does not matter. I do not know of anyone who has actually done a wide-scale study to determine whether there is anything other than anecdotal "evidence" for either viewpoint. Vaulted skulls are required in polish; not required in silkies. Most silkie breeders that I know of do not breed either for or away from the vault.

4. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm going to have to check my chicks. I have two blues, one splash, about five weeks old. Can you feel a soft spot?

5. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of my blue/splash offspring

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:No, you would see a bump atop the head.

7. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    Awwwwww I have a vaulted skull chick but sadly it's a roo

8. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What a fabulous girl!!! [​IMG]

9. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    jd08, are you going to the Newport show? I might have a hen or pullet but I only have this one splash rooster and I'm keeping him at least one year. I should have a cockerel in three mos. Thank you

10. ultra1classic

ultra1classic THE FLUFFINATOR

Jul 20, 2009
    Virginia
    Hey tracey and April are you coming to the show this month down here in VA? To close to the holiday for me to get the weekend off to show..my new place not far from the show grounds though..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by