Splash Orp-Boy or girl

jminnie0922

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 27, 2007
This little one has me confused. At 4 weeks I was sure that it was a boy, but since then his comb has not gotten much bigger. It's really about the same size now at 7 weeks as it was then.

What do you think? Boy or girl?

2008Chicks009.jpg

I don't know the Orp that well..... comb looks large... but also very yellow yet. I dunno... I'm sure one of our Orp experts will have an idea
smile.png

Last edited:
I've had a few Orps trick me. Do you have a better shot of its face comb/wattles and a pic of its body like tiki says.

Thanks, I'll try and get more pics this evening.

I looked for wattles last night and they're barely there but they were pretty pink/red compared to the ones that I know are pullets.

Jeanne

Here's a full body picture from today at 7 1/2 weeks.

Splashbiggerpic.jpg

This one shows the 2 blues that I'm pretty sure are girls along with there hatchmates. You don't see any other roos in there do you?

groupbigger-1.jpg

That looks like a pullet at this stage, however, BamaChicken had a cockerel that kept her guessing for FIVE months, LOL! I once sold a cockerel that turned out to be a pullet myself. Sometimes, they just like to play with your head.
hmm.png

I hope your right. But I'm afraid the odds are against it. I had 6 blue orp eggs in the incubator and got 3 to hatch. So the chances of all 3 being pullets is pretty slim. I'll hold on to him for a little longer just to make sure though.

Thanks,
Jeanne

Do you see any wattles developing? It looks like a little girl to me too, but depending on the fast/slow development, they can play tricks on you.

Jody

Back
Top Bottom