Splay Chick now has Swollen Foot!

cocosandy

Crowing
15 Years
Jul 14, 2007
Stamford, CT
Hey Everyone! I have been running between my 100 yr old grandfather who has been sick and my teen/birds/home here. A chick hatched around 3 days ago and it had a full split leg splay problem. I used some vet wrap to tie its legs in position and kept it in a critter keeper under the lights. The little guy was up and walking within a few hours and has been very scrappy. The problem is that I had to go back to grandpa's and left him in the care of my teen son and my animal helper who is in her 20's....I kept telling them to check and change the food and water, which they did fine, but they didn't notice that one foot got swollen seemingly because the vet wrap pulled tighter as it moved around.
So now the little guy has a swollen foot which hasn't gone down in around 15 hours since I unwrapped its legs.
It is holding the foot up and limping a little but its feet are in just about the right position, and besides some comical falling on its back and not being able to get up, its doing fine.
Should I soak and drain the foot? it has a little red scab on the top, so it is draining a little.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I will try to post a pic in a little while.
Thanks

Hi you said it has a swollen foot and that its draining a bit. What I would do is defiantly try to drain the foot.

Is the foot swollen and filled with something or is it swollen like a bump?

I couldnt get a good pic yet...I need someone to hold her. The foot was/is full of fluid that is sorta yellowish. I soaked it and put some bactine on it and gave it a bit of a squeeze and this water type stuff shot out. It has a little scab on the top of the foot but the fluid came out from under the toe in a fold that must have been a weak point. The pressure is lessened a bit and I guess I will see how it is tomorrow. There is no infection that I can see....I think it was fluid buildup from the splay traction getting too tight. On the upside she is wobbling round on her straight legs which are basically under her. She is eating and drinking and chirping alot. I think the foot hurts her. But its all good so far. I'm just not sure if medicated feed prevents possible infections like this.
I just hope it goes down the rest of the way because it still is double normal size even after I drained it a little.

Back
Top Bottom