Splay leg advice

ScottyGill

Songster
Jun 22, 2019
Dunoon, Argyll & Bute, Scotland
hi I’m posting about this everywhere. I have a chick that is 2/3 days behind the others hatching and has splay legs. She is very feisty and full of spirit but I’ve managed to get a hobble on her. Have I done this right?. I kept her in the incubator till she was fully dry but we did try her in the brooder yesterday while I cleaned the incubator out and she kept all the other nosy chicks at bay. So I’m thinking I will out her in with the others. She’s moving about the incubator quite well somehow, as noticed she’s right on the other side.

Attachments

• B0C76039-70EA-4D8D-90EC-1F0CDAB23F86.jpeg
    B0C76039-70EA-4D8D-90EC-1F0CDAB23F86.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 7
Yes! If she is moving ok, then this will keep her legs in a better position. My only concerns are if the connection (where tapes ends overlap) will become unstuck due to dust.

We tried a similar solution to yours, but it didn’t stay on ours, so we used a small rubber band and put a knot in the middle (now two loops on either end). We slipped this through a short piece of drinking straw, then put loops over feet, onto legs. The rubber band was loose enough, but with enough give for walking and did not cut into legs. The straw was short enough to not touch legs. This stayed on chick for several days and chick recovered well, but chick had a mild case of splay legs.

Good luck!

Sadly this wasn’t splayed legs. It was malformed legs. Literally couldn’t walk or stand at all. So distressing to see. The other chicks attacked and mauled her and she was so distressed and we reAlise now she’s gone has been since birth. The high pitch has gone and we have 3 calm happily chicks. Been a difficult learning curve

Last edited:
Sadly this wasn’t splayed legs. It was malformed legs. Literally couldn’t walk or stand at all. So distressing to see. The other chicks attacked and mauled her and she was so distressed and we reAlise now she’s gone has been since birth. The high pitch has gone and we have 3 calm happily chicks. Been a difficult learning curve

I'm sorry to hear that. We received 28 chicks via mail (sent express, so received fast), and 3 died within a week. One had deformed legs, and we had to cull within 24 hours bc definite issue - would not have recovered, and was going downhill despite warmth, electrolytes, water. Sadly, some chicks are hatched with problems. But now you know how to deal with splay legs if you have a future case.

I'm sorry to hear that. We received 28 chicks via mail (sent express, so received fast), and 3 died within a week. One had deformed legs, and we had to cull within 24 hours bc definite issue - would not have recovered, and was going downhill despite warmth, electrolytes, water. Sadly, some chicks are hatched with problems. But now you know how to deal with splay legs if you have a future case.
Yes I do if it’s true splay legs. I’m already thinking about trying again! I’ve learnt alot

Back
Top Bottom