Splay leg or injury?

mercedes

Songster
9 Years
May 4, 2010
TX
Two days ago I bought 6 day old EE's at the local feed store.The guy was outraged when I had the nerve to call them EE's and insisted that they were ameraucanas
lol.png
They come from Ideal,not a breeder.I think they had just been delivered and had not been offered food or water because they did not know what to do when I got them home.One in particular was smaller and I noticed that one of his/her legs would slip out behind him/her when the chick moved. I have them on the knoppy shelf liner and a layer of paper towels to provide better footing for them and put a band-aid on his/her legs to keep them more stable.Is there anything else that I should be doing?All the chicks,including this little one are doing fine,eating,drinking well,poop is fine,normal activity.Somehow I think it may be do to rough handling or an accident rather then splay cause only one leg is affected and it goes out to the back rather then out sideways.Thank you for ANY ideas or suggestions.

Quote:
Site update: If it’s of any help to anyone in the future, the Poultry Podiatry website on chicken orthopedics & leg problems has moved to the new location linked in my sig line below.

Very glad the site is being of help!
big_smile.png
Thank you, Miss Lydia, for spreading awareness about it!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom